Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP QUICK! clutch/transmission advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003 | 03:31 AM
cvdrugrep
8th Gear

Angry HELP QUICK! clutch/transmission advice!

The S2 in question So here's the situation. When I engage the clutch into first I get a slight chatter, but nothing significant. Going into second a little more chatter but doesn't happen if I feather the gas at the same time. Now here's what's scaring me and where I need advice: downshifting from 3rd to second makes the entire car shake, and making me wonder if I should back up and see if I left my transmission back behind me. Also, when I am in say, 3rd gear, clutch fully engaged and press the gas hard, the engine revs higher (as if the transmission is slipping) but the car doesn't accelerate for a second, then the engine rpms drop down a bit, whatever was slipping stops slipping and engages the differential and accelerates normally. I can smell a distinct odor when this happens, like I'm burning up my clutch without it even being pressed. I did notice what appears to be transmission fluid (red) leaking very slightly from below the front of the car. Are we talking somethign simple like low on fluid, new clutch, syncro's bad, etc. or something worse?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated (and yes she's for sale on autotrader.com in the 23606 area code!)
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2003 | 03:35 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

interesting picture of the "S2" in that link... might want to fix that... but good luck, i cant help yea, not that advanced yet...
~Eyal
Old 10-27-2003 | 03:45 AM
cvdrugrep
8th Gear

good call..fixed with the appropriate link !
Old 10-27-2003 | 03:47 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

why are you selling?
~Eyal
Old 10-27-2003 | 04:57 AM
cvdrugrep
8th Gear

I have a company car that is used 5 days a week, this one just sits now unless it's a weekend and it's nice out. Plus I'd like to use the money from the car sale to put a downpayment on a house.
Old 10-27-2003 | 05:58 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

i see, thats a good reason.
~Eyal
Old 10-27-2003 | 07:59 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Clutch is going, going, and almost gone. As for the red fluid. If it is on the front passenger side, I'd say power steering fluid (ATF). Most likely your power steering rack is failing.
Old 10-27-2003 | 10:20 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

I suspect that the clutch is oil soaked, that would explain the chattering and the slipping. Chattering under light load and slipping under heavy loads.
Old 10-27-2003 | 02:16 PM
cvdrugrep
8th Gear

thank you all for your help. if the clutch is oil soaked, the rear engine seal is gone? if so I'm assuming that still means new clutch?
Old 10-27-2003 | 02:30 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check to see if the heater valve at the back of the motor is leaking antifreeze onto the clutch.
Old 10-27-2003 | 02:33 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

It could be a leaking rear engine seal allowing engine oil to soak the clutch. Another suspect would be the heater valve and hoses located along the fire wall above the bell housing. If the heater valve leaks (very common), coolant can get into the bell housing thorought the upper inspection hole and soak the clutch, resulting in the symptoms you describe. Or it could just be a worn out clutch with no related fuild leaks.

Sounds like a new clutch as a minimum. Change the rear seal while doing the clutch, and check/replace the heater valve and hoses at the same time.
Old 10-27-2003 | 02:57 PM
cvdrugrep
8th Gear

I can't say this enoguh, thank you all for taking the time to lend some advice! She's going in the shop today so I'll keep you all posted. Tthanks for the ammunition.

--Justin
Old 10-27-2003 | 04:11 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Hmm...mine has many of the symptoms you mentioned here as well, but in my case the mechanic told me that it's a leaking cam housing seal, thus allowing oil to soak the whole back side of the engine & eventually into the bellhousing & into the clutch. I've gotta figure out how to do this job this spring....hmm...clarks garage here I come...
Old 10-27-2003 | 04:19 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Also, when I am in say, 3rd gear, clutch fully engaged and press the gas hard, the engine revs higher (as if the transmission is slipping) but the car doesn't accelerate for a second, then the engine rpms drop down a bit, whatever was slipping stops slipping and engages the differential and accelerates normally

Also a symptom of bad T/O bearing. Anyhow needs a clutch. My RX got so bad at one point it would rev to about 5K before it even moved, got a little scary.
Old 10-28-2003 | 10:16 PM
cvdrugrep
8th Gear

so the shop calls today and says it needs a clutch and possibly a new transmission?!!?!?!!? I can understand the clutch, but I have no problems driving the car, engaging it into gear(despite teh shudder), putting it into reverse etc so I can't understand why it'd need a new transmission.

The shop says the heater valve and the rear main seal seam to be dry which is good. Do I call BS on the transmission? What's a reasonable price for a clutch job? I'm assuming 1200.00.

Quick Reply: HELP QUICK! clutch/transmission advice!