Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Values

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:23 AM
GOTA944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Values

I've been out of the Porsche game since 2005 when I sold my 2 owner Guards Red with Fuchs and sport seats late 85 with 82K on the clock for $5,700.00. Since that time, I've acquired and sold numerous vehicles and currently the garage consists of a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited (bought new) the wife drives, a work vehicle strictly for work, and a classic 1970 Mach 1 Mustang. I am in the market for an extra vehicle to be used on weekends and road trips to keep some of the miles off the Jeep and in case the Jeep goes down because the Mustang is not really fit for long trips or daily driving. It's too nice, and I probably would not trust it anyway. Plus, no rain or inclement weather allowed on that one.

So shortly before I sold my Porsche my best friends parents purchased a mint 2 owner 1987 white on maroon 944 with auto and 74K on the clock. They did the timing belt and water pump shortly afterward and kept the car 10 years under a cover in the garage and used it sparingly before trading it for a Harley last year with 77K on the clock. At most they had 6K into it including what they bought it for. I had bugged them off and on to sell it to me for the last decade, and now the current owners have just listed it on Craigslist at $8,500.00 obo with 78K.
I realize the auto hurts its value somewhat, but it is almost a mint example, and the only reason I'd consider it is I'm quite familiar with it already. Does anyone on here have a value guide on these cars or can point me in the right direction? I think the price is too high but again, I haven't kept up with things and I've noticed some 944s are now selling for stupid money. Feedback is appreciated.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:59 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Definitely too high. But then again, maybe it's worth $8500 to you? In my area clean autos are scattered around the $5k mark but I have no idea if they're selling for that.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:17 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the Haggerty value as a starting point, and apply a discount for the auto transmission.

If you're open to the auto transmission, drive a few 928's as well. The premium is on the 928 5-speeds, and there are lots of really nice auto variants at good prices. These are super comfortable cars, and there are a few years with a non-interference variant of the motor (believe it was the generation before the S4). No fear of timing belt.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:36 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 944 cars with manual and great options having low miles with meticulous, fanatical care are bringing the high money and every thing else, including automatics or base cars which have been daily driven to higher mileages are going to be at the bottom of the value range.

Personally I have known of 5 normally aspirated, flawless examples, with low miles bringing between 15,000 and 28,000. Nearly at the value they traded at new. This is NOT pricing reflecting the majority of cars available, but represents the best of the best.

Do your homework and understand what maint. costs to the transaxle are going to be bringing the value of the automatics down; the repair to them is quite costly and parts are very hard to obtain from salvage operators or parts houses. These cars are no where near the same driving experience as a well sorted manual transmission car and driver involvement is not as 'interesting'.

Choose wisely between the two and make sure you have looked at plenty of good candidates before making a choice. GREAT cars are still out there even 30 years on, but that pool is getting drier every day and those cars are going into collections that don't turn often; thus the higher values we are seeing on good solid, clean, low milers.

Where one was able to find REALLY good cars for around 5 or less not that many years ago, the market has left the 5,000 dollar segment to a much lower quality vehicle. I do not see the automatic version of the normally aspirated 944 ( the only model it came in other than the 924 ) as a car which will ever be greatly desired by the Porsche populace, ( unlike certain PDK variants in other models like Cayman, Boxster, or 911 ) or attain a level of high value. Sorry, but not really with you on this choice......
Old 08-28-2016, 02:53 PM
GOTA944
Advanced

I am only entertaining it as I've known the car since 2005 and know it is a really good one,despite being an auto, which is actually a plus since wife cannot drive stick. I've driven this particular car before and while I know not as fun as a manual, I did not mind it. I am well aware of the maintenance costs of these vehicles having previously had one. Yes, I have looked at 928s in the past. Drives much heavier than the 944 does, but those are probably my favorite front engined Porsches. However, good ones are more than I wish to spend, and the maintenance costs on those is even more than a 944. Again, car's purpose will be an emergency vehicle in the event any of the others is out for maintenance and for weekend duties only.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:07 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think some people are getting stupid with what they are asking for these cars. Mecum just had an 89 and it went to 19k and no sale. Nothing special about the car over 70k on the clock and just an5 speed N/A.

It's like 993's that are way over valued right now IMO just not to that extent and hopefully the people trying to get that high money of 944's will realize the market isn't going to stand for it.

Around here you get get 944's from 1k to about 6k.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:41 PM
GOTA944
Advanced

Highest price I found someone paid for an auto 944 on eBay was 6,700 to a dealer with 70K. Another one sold for 5K with 30K on the clock. Both were brown, so not exactly desirable colors, but 5-6K for a really clean N/A with auto sounds about right, not 8K.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:55 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems way too high for an auto.

I'm interested where this one ends up
Live Bring a Trailer 944 auction
Old 08-28-2016, 05:13 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

JMHO but a car is worth what it's worth to you. In your case the auto is a big plus for the Mrs. factor, if she's happy than your chances of continued happiness increase manifold. Is it really overpaying if you spend a few thousand dollars over average for a nice car that needs nothing as opposed to an average car that can easily eat up the few thousand you saved on price and still end up with a lesser car? Penny wise, pound foolish is sometimes the case. Your smileage may vary
Old 08-29-2016, 06:53 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Is it really overpaying if you spend a few thousand dollars over average for a nice car that needs nothing as opposed to an average car that can easily eat up the few thousand you saved on price and still end up with a lesser car?
Concur...wholeheartedly.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:53 AM
GOTA944
Advanced

I agree as well. Pay a premium now on a nice one or pay a premium later on one that needs work. In the end a cheap Porsche will cost as much as a nice Porsche. However, in this scenario, nothing I've seen would indicate this car is worth 8.5K. As much as I like it, I would not pay that much. Unfortunately, my buddy's parents did not call me before they traded it to the current seller. Known my buddy's dad, he made out on that deal and probably got a Harley worth more than the 944, so the current seller is trying to make up for it...
Old 08-29-2016, 10:59 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What other classic car looks as good and drives as nice and is as practical as this 944 for 8.5k?
Its some money yes, but if its a nice car then it will reward you every time you look at it and every time you drive it.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:43 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by morghen
What other classic car looks as good and drives as nice and is as practical as this 944 for 8.5k?
Its some money yes, but if its a nice car then it will reward you every time you look at it and every time you drive it.
I've seen decent 928s for that kind of money. Besides, from my perspective, the only thing an $8500.00 car has over a $1000.00 one is paint and interior. Both will have to be gone through mechanically from stem to stern.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 PM
GOTA944
Advanced

Yes, decent early 928s do go for that, but not a low mileage post 85 DOHC version. The bottom line is that you can buy a neglected 944 or 928 and easily spend in maintenance more than the initial purchase price. I know for around 7K this car might be worth it to ME but not someone else. I'll let them sit on it awhile and see how badly they really want to sell it. I doubt they will get much interest given the higher price and the impending bad weather coming up here in the Midwest.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:43 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on what you call decent because if the decent 928 needs a minor engine job its not the same as if the 944 needs a minor engine job for example. And i think you know you're stretching the 1k vs 8.5k comparisson as 1k will get you a beat up 944.
Going trough mecanically does not mean completely dissasamble and replace all wear parts. So you can do a few inexpensive checks and be sure you've got a good car while for 1k be sure you'd have to spend some to make a bad car into a good car...usually more than what a good car would have costed.

If you have the money and the car is good dont be afraid to pay a fair price for it or even more if you really like it or you think its special.

Quick Reply: 944 Values