Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: legal advice - 16 yr old hit me

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 02:19 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about "no fault land" (which, BTW, sounds like a ****ty *** place to live) but in this case you'd name her and more than likely her parents (since she's a minor). You do not need to name the boyfriend or any insurance companies (nor do you want to, they'd only bring in lawyers that would make anything you try look stupid).

And, as a side note to all the anti-suit people who think suing people is wrong...get a ****in clue. People need to stand up for themselves. They can either take law into their own hands (which usually involves something illegal) or you can file a lawsuit. I'm 24, I've already sued three times in my short career - all of them over vehicles, and all of them because people hit my car and thought that my insurance and me should pay for it (and in all three of these cases, my car was always legally parked, no contest here). They refuse to pay, they get sued., and that's what should happen here.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:40 AM
Bill Elwell
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PrerYDoG
as a side note to all the anti-suit people who think suing people is wrong...get a ****in clue
Gosh Mark, why don't you tell us how you feel. But before you start using foul language attacking the views of others, take a look at both sides of the story. Let me give you a brief example.

My brother and I bought and rehabed a row house in my home town. Part of the rehab included a new skylight window. We sold the house. A month after settlement we got a letter. The guy that bought the house was suing us because the skylight was leaking. He didn't want a lot of money, $5,000. The suit says that he called us repeatedly but got no response. We never got a call from him. Had he actually called us, we would have fixed any issue he had. We never actually got to see if the skylight was actually leaking.

$5,000 was way more than it would cost to fix the leak but it was very close to what it would have cost us to defend the case in court. Our chances of winning in court were less than 50/50. He was betting that we would settle out of court and he was right. That settlement chewed up roughly 20% of what we made on that rehab.

My point is that when you start running across BS lawsuit stories on a regular basis, many folks develop a bad attitude about lawsuits. If there were a reasonable way to screen potential buyers, I would never do business with a person that has a lot of lawsuits in their past. It's just too risky.

Catch you later,

Bill

Quick Reply: OT: legal advice - 16 yr old hit me