Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OH NO!! Cayenne now with V6 from VW!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003 | 12:22 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Jim - dont get it. There are loads of reasons cars are in more than one color. I just prefer to fly under the radar. Previously, I had a India Red 944, an Imola Blue 330CI, and a Savannah Red RX-7. White is less assuming and a little understated and I like that. That being said make my pepper slate grey.
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:25 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Matt, you're ok.
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:25 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Thanks for the endorsement. :>)
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:29 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Matt H
You guys are funny. You bitch that they dont build exotics (like any of us are buying them) or they dont build what you want. Then they turn out the CGT (which I personally dont like) and they have plans to have a new 911 (again) and you wonder why they are in the SUV market. Try this one, to make enough money to keep creating cars no one buys! You want racing programs (which cost a fortune), etc, etc, etc. The sports car market is still very soft. They have learned their lesson (see also: damn near bankrupt in the 80s from only having 3 offerings). I dont much like the idea of the V-6 but they are a car company designed to sell cars (trucks,tractors, whatever). If you are on this board then you already own an entry level Porsche (what a joke), why not a second one. What do you think 911 guys were saying when they started on the 924?

That leaves only 2 assumptions to be made:
1) very few people on this board know how to make money in the auto business. I refuse to believe this.

2) some of you are becoming the elitist dicks that separate us from the Boxster crowd. I find this far more likely.

It is a hard world and I have just donned my flame resistant underwear...is it getting hot in here?
I agree about the "sell boring cars and use the profit for fun cars" theory but it's not comparable the 924-line of cars.
Even though the 924 was a cheap car it was made as a cheap sports car. The same focus as on the 911, but at a lower level.
That's my main concern.
I wouldn't complain if they did for instance a small cheap lightweight sports car.

BTW, I don't think you can say that all people on this board has an entry level Porsche since the 951 S costed more than a regular 911 back ni 88. A statement makes you sound just like the ignorant 911-crowd.

And as for profit. As I recall (may rembember wrong) Porsche is the most profitable auto maker out there. Somewhere along 13% profit margin. I think the next best auto maker had around 8%.
But then again Porsche don't have the same production numbers, but anyway, they do alright selling just sports cars...

Also, Porsche is by far the most recognized and valuable brand name in Germany. I would not exclude the possibility that that may change in the long run if they go head over heels with these "entry-level" models.

Gustaf
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:35 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

An other thing...
there's two sides of a coin.

While the statement "start building more cars or the fun cars will suffer" makes sense, I don't think it's the only way Porsche will survive. Although it sounds that some of you think it's the only way?

Let me put it this way... Ferrari.
Do I need to point out that they don't produce anything else but sports cars and never ever produces any commercials at all?
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:43 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt H
[B]some of you are becoming the elitist dicks that separate us from the Boxster crowd. I find this far more likely.
[QUOTE]

Matt, you're not the only one to notice the irony extant in the attitudes in here. On one hand, several 944 owners have their feelings hurt when p-car owners of other models don't acknowledge the 944 as a significant porsche. Or even worse, the dreaded "It's not a real porsche" comment. On the other hand, there are those among us that are basically treating the Cayenne in the same manner we bemoan when it's directed at us.

I for one hope they can sell all the Cayennes they can make.

And Boxsters too.
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:52 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red1
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt H
some of you are becoming the elitist dicks that separate us from the Boxster crowd. I find this far more likely.

Matt, you're not the only one to notice the irony extant in the attitudes in here. On one hand, several 944 owners have their feelings hurt when p-car owners of other models don't acknowledge the 944 as a significant Porsche. Or even worse, the dreaded "It's not a real Porsche" comment. On the other hand, there are those among us that are basically treating the Cayenne in the same manner we bemoan when it's directed at us.

I for one hope they can sell all the Cayennes they can make.

And Boxsters too.
Red,

I see your point, however I feel the bond is "sports car ownership"
Often when I drive my old 911 I get waves from old Jag XKE's, MG's, Alfa's..etc...

Do SUV drivers wave their cell phones at each other??

All Porsche's are REAL Porsche's weather they are to your liking or not.
Old 10-24-2003 | 12:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Duke - we are not talking about dollar value but PERCEIVED value. Okay if a 944TS cost more than a 911 of its day so what. It was still the "down" model. I believe the 928 cost more than both of them (I could be wrong). I think you can use the 924 as a pretty good comparison. It isnt a truck but the feelings are likely the same (I am not old enough to know/remember).

People love to throw out Ferrari as an example. So what. Can you buy ANY Ferrari for 5K? For that matter how many can you buy for 100K (new not used)? While I love Ferrari's (even contemplating getting a 348) no one can argue they are well built or built for the enthusiast to screw with. Maintenance runs in the 1.00 per mile category or much more for some models. Check out the price of a clutch for any model some time (and you thought 944 parts were high). We live in a psuedo fantasy world that allows us to think our Porsches are supercars. I love mine (if not I wouldnt have bought another one) and I think they are great cars. They may be the most affordable super car on the planet but you would be playing soccer on the wrong pitch if you compared your 944 to say a 348 (which is about as entry level as they come barring the 308 line). Just too different.

Brian - I think you got my point pretty much spot on. It is amazing how the people you know kinda get what you mean. We bitch and even post threads when someone informs us that we are not driving a "real" Porsche. I plan on having a Boxster and a Cayenne to accompany my 951 at some point. The pepper will make a nice replacement for the BMW and the Boxster will make an adequate replacement for the RXs (if only they could figure out a hardtop version with 350HP for 40K).
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:05 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Well I like the Cayenne Turbo and perhaps the Cayenne S but somewhere you need to draw the line.
And by releasing this VW-motored Cayenne I think they've crossed that line.
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:06 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky

Do SUV drivers wave their cell phones at each other??
LOL, Not if my wife is driving! Oh she'll wave, but that's not a cell phone she'll be waving! (Her Mexican temper gets the best of her sometimes)

I understand the revulsion at the idea that a sports car company has devolved into offering mundane commuter-mobiles, albeit expensive and class-leading ones. Let's do a better job of getting over this than the air-cooled guys did of the 924 having a radiator.

Hey, if it keeps them from being bought by Ford or (horrors!) GM, build the damn things.
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:07 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ok, i dont feel like ranting about thise, and why a Cayenne and a V6 cayenne is fine. I will say....

914 - HELLO!!!!!!!!
924 (early) HELLO!!!!

EVERY PORSCHE MODEL MADE HAS VW PARTS!!!!!! Have you see the headlight/fog switch on the boxsters/911 ??? Same one as my GTI. Mirrors and brackets on even the 911 Turbo...Same as on my GTI! 930 Shifter? Same as on a VW Scirroco (pretty sure...)

Ok ok, i understand, that this time its the ENGINE! Big deal. Why cant you look at the whole. VW came from Porsche. Its like son letting dad borrow his bike! Please, get real. To all those who say negative things toward the Cayenne or any model, go DRIVE IT. And lets not compare to Saturn, please people. A Saturn cannot do what a Porsche can, no matter what its engine is. The limits on a consumer car are no where near a Porsche's made for a specialty sect. Lets get real.
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:11 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Crossing the line is a watercooled 4 cylinder with 150HP....ooops :>)

Blue, again my point exactly. Who gives a damn where the engine is sourced from. If there is already and assembly line and the parts can be made cheaper en masse (and they can be) then do it. If 944's didnt cost 4-15K then how many of us would be buying them? Would you have missed out on something? Same goes for an "entry-level" Cayenne. Make mine a Turbo in Grey but until that time comes...

The other good news is that the V-6's should flood the market making the "S" and the Turbo come down in price. SUVs hold very little resale.
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:12 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

My original fuzz wasn't about the fact that the engine comes from VW.
It's the performance I don't like!
If Porsche created a cheap small sports car, for instance some sort of mix between a Mini Cooper S and a Boxster with a VW-engine I'd be more than happy! As long as it performs.
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:15 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Tony, lets not get out of hand here.But whats the right way to compair two suv's because they look the same coing down the road. I don't want to throw stones.
Old 10-24-2003 | 01:16 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I guess I can see that. However, cool as it is, I dont want most people I know driving 400HP SUVs. That makes the hulk of metal come at you faster.

Quick Reply: OH NO!! Cayenne now with V6 from VW!