Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 01:02 AM
kyle a. w.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn issue

My horn recently stopped working. Started as an intermittent thing then it totally went out With the engine off I can hear a click when I hit the horn so I assume the problem isn't with the horn contact or the relay. Any thoughts? Either a ground or the horn itself? It be great to have a horn to honk at people because Californians hate it. And they love to change lanes without signals when I'm right next to them.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:53 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be the connectors on the horns themselves. Years ago, and many cars past, I put a set of Fiamm horns on my car. They're basically trumpet style, air compressor driven horns and are available from many suppliers. A few days later, some kid was going to push a bicycle across an intersection in front of me, against the light. I hit the horns and they were so loud and effective, he pulled his bike back over himself in fear and surprise. They're perfect for any car, especially if you want to get your "message" across. They were standard equipment on Italian sports cars like Ferrari, Maserati and Alfa's where horns were used all the time.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:21 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle a. w.
My horn recently stopped working.
Swap your horn relay with your fog light relay and give the steering wheel another smack.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 PM
kyle a. w.
Advanced

Swapped relays. The relay clicks when I hit the pad. Same as with the original relay.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:41 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
It could be the connectors on the horns themselves. Years ago, and many cars past, I put a set of Fiamm horns on my car. They're basically trumpet style, air compressor driven horns and are available from many suppliers. A few days later, some kid was going to push a bicycle across an intersection in front of me, against the light. I hit the horns and they were so loud and effective, he pulled his bike back over himself in fear and surprise. They're perfect for any car, especially if you want to get your "message" across. They were standard equipment on Italian sports cars like Ferrari, Maserati and Alfa's where horns were used all the time.
I fitted a set to my Dad's car many years ago as a birthday present, left a note on the steering wheel saying "press horn for present". Imagine a set of Fiamm air horns going off in a closed garage...
Old 08-17-2016, 07:36 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle a. w.
Swapped relays. The relay clicks when I hit the pad. Same as with the original relay.
Do both relays operate the fog lights?

If so, have you examined the horn contacts, as 777 mentioned? In any case, if you haven't resolved this issue in the next 4-6 weeks, can send you the horn from my spare 951 when I'm back with the car.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:35 PM
kyle a. w.
Advanced

I will have to check on that. Do you mean the contacts on the actual horn(s) itself?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:14 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Umm...isn't the usual answer to check your ground wire on the crossmember? If that came off the horn won't work. It sounds like your contact at the steering wheel is working if you hear the relay.

After you check the ground, check for power at the horns. If you're getting power, then the horns are bad. Otherwise you need to trace back and find out why power isn't coming from the relay. You did check the fuse right?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:05 PM
kyle a. w.
Advanced

Fuse was good. I'll have to check that wire on the cross member.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:12 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With a test light see if there's power at the horn relay #30 terminal with the ignition on. Report back if none. If power is present jump the horn relay terminals #30 and #87 together and see if you have power at the Horn's with the ignition on. Report back if none. If you have power it should be simple to figure out at this point.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:03 PM
kyle a. w.
Advanced

Ground at the crossmember looks good

The horns look like maybe they are suspect. Splitting and looking rusted.

I'm thinking they probably just need to be replaced. When they stopped working it was a gradual thing. Worked, then sometimes they worked, then nothing. I don't even know if both were working the whole time or just one of them.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:04 PM
kyle a. w.
Advanced

Also that mess is from a power steering leak I just resolved.

Quick Reply: Horn issue