Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 924s rebuilding, body work, engine removal this should get good.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 02:42 PM
tystager93
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 924s rebuilding, body work, engine removal this should get good.

Hello one and all to this fantastic show. This is my first post on rennlist but not to worry I have plenty of experience working on german metal as its my profession! Normally i'm all about the BMW's and Audis but an opportunity came up.

Anyway, onto why i'm making this post in the first place. About a year and a half ago a good family friend sold his 924s to my 18 year old little brother. This was a 1 owner car with 50,000 original documented miles in pretty much perfect condition. We even took it to a few car shows last summer and it took home some awards. however fall time came and being an 18 year old he thought that he was the greatest driver on earth, and ended up stuffing the front into a telephone pole the night before Halloween. luckily it had full insurance and the insurance company totaled the car and wrote him a nice check. He bought the car back from the insurance company with the intention of fixing it one day. Well last week his replacement car had an unfortunate demise and upon realizing that he had no money or skill or time to fix it he has sold the Porsche to big brother me. And now well the time has come to breath some life back into the ole girl. I have this next week off of work on vacation and this is going to be my project.

We have even found a donor car in new york, for the new passenger side frame rail bumper and fender. And its even the same color. This also means i have a ****load of extra parts, ill post some of them in the classifieds but before I do that anyone who reads this can have first right of refusal. Just DM me what you are looking for and ill get back to you fast. There is no engine ofr transmission in the donor, but all the glass is there, doors radio most of the interior and some engine parts, there is a camshaft, 2 extra intake manifolds and some other stuff im sure, havent gone through it all yet.

First things first for this I need to take out the engine. I'm hoping to take it out of the top, because space is pretty limited at my house however if it comes to it ill drop it on the ground like everyone says to do. I don't have a lift but one of my buddies who will be helping me with the bodywork/welding is also a weight lifter and can probably pick the whole front end up himself. I've seen a few posts about that so I shouldn't need help hopefully. But there is still a problem, and that is the rad fans are pushed up against the oil filter housing and timing cover. meaning that trying to get any of the accessories is going to be an absolute PITA

I need to post some pictures, those will come probably today I promise.

Also apologies if this seems a little scattered, i'm just going as i think.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:25 PM
tystager93
6th Gear

this is the one getting fixed

this is the donor car

and thats why the engine needs to be removed

and as we can see the frame on the donor car is perfect
Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome aboard. I'm wondering why you wouldn't just swap everything to the donor car?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:29 PM
tystager93
6th Gear

Many reasons, one the donor car was hacked to hell. There's a hole in the floor from the idiot who took out the old transmission they literally took a saw or something and cut a hole in the trunk. There is no rear suspension at all hence the logs holding the rear up. The interior is all taken apart but still in there for the most part. Most of the paint is faded in person and cant come back with a buff and wax. And there is no title/registration because it was just sitting in some guys yard for 5 years. We found it for free on Craigslist so can't complain on that part.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 PM
tystager93
6th Gear

Maybe one day I'll take she shell and put a roll cage in and turn it into a dedicated race car.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:00 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

I figured it had no title. If you haven't done so already, I would run a Carfax on the donor car before you start using the front clip from it to make sure it wasn't stolen. Even if you make a race car from it, you still need proof of ownership.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:58 PM
tystager93
6th Gear

Yeah I did a carfax. And the guy gave me a bill of sale for it.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:49 PM
tystager93
6th Gear

So change of plans, we decided to take the engine out audi style because the entire front clip needs to be replaced. So heres what it looks like when you cut out the front of a Porsche.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:34 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you are good to go! I wish you luck with your endeavors.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:00 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it were me, I'd get creative on the reconstruction. Look how much room you have for future engine repairs... I'd make a custom front clip that's removable. You could have the front clip rails insert into the car rails, over lapping with some heavy bolts going through. That way if you want to get in there again you can remove the front of the car with a few bolts. It would look stock from the outside, but be a dream to work on if needed
Old 08-12-2016, 12:51 AM
Austin87
Advanced

That's a great idea!!

Quick Reply: 1987 924s rebuilding, body work, engine removal this should get good.