Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheels won't turn after brake job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 04:01 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Rear wheels won't turn after brake job?

Hi all,

Finished up a brake job (new pads/rotors) on my 944 S2 and the rear wheels wouldn't turn. I had to use a little force to get the new rear pads in the calipers even after retracting the pistons fully, so I figured those were binding.

Got things torn apart and freed the rear pads which were indeed binding. But I'm realizing that even without pads loaded in the calipers, after I tighten the calipers to the hub, the hub doesn't turn freely anymore. If the calipers are just bolted loosely on with no pads, the hubs turn free. Once I start to tighten the rear caliper mounting bolts up, then the hub gets more difficult to turn until it won't turn at all.

It this a parking brake adjustment issue since I have new discs? How would tightening the caliper mounting bolts effect the parking brake?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:18 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You lost and obviously did not install the rear 3mm thick shims needed to center the rear calipers to the disks.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:19 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Yep, always back off the star adjuster for the parking brake when installing....then readjust.

Does the S2 have the sticky isolator pads?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:29 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the responses!

Figured it out when I went back to the car -- it was the thick "spacer" washers being in the wrong position. When I took the calipers off, I slipped the spacers onto the caliper mounting bolts for safe keeping. When I reinstalled, I didn't take the spacers back off the bolts and move them to the correct spot between the caliper and mounting bracket.

All good now, parking brake may still need a little adjustment, but the wheels turn freely. And yes, I think the isolator pads were stock on the S2 but mine were long gone by the time I got the car. I've had no trouble using the car without them so far.

Quick Reply: Rear wheels won't turn after brake job?