Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to tune idle/throttle body air mixture

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:22 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to tune idle/throttle body air mixture

I did some work recently and the car is running but with kind of a stumbling idle. I took the throttle body apart to put in the arnworx seal kit, and so I didn't accurately mark the screw for air mixture.

is this all done just by feel or is there some kind of tool that makes this process fast and easy for the pros? does anyone have any favorite documents that help explain this. I could wait for the local porsche shop to have some avails, but also part of the fun with this car is learning as i go, so maybe this is my next learning opportunity.

(the car also occasionally loses power randomly, not very often, at middle RPMs. at full throttle it feels sort of how it should, though i am guessing there is more HP to be had with a proper tune. I am smelling kind of a gassy (running rich) type of smell as the car runs.)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:13 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The throttle body screw is only for idle speed. The idle air mixture screw is on the AFM.

Make sure the throttle body vacuum lines are hooked up correctly, that the fuel pressure damper is connected to the line after the throttle plate. If it's connected to the nipple in front of the plate, it will run extremely rich.

Definitely ensure all vacuum lines are correct before touching the AFM screw.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:25 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

It's just "by feel".
As long as everything else is "the same" as before just turn the screw until you are happy with the idle speed.

Quick Reply: how to tune idle/throttle body air mixture