Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is Porsche going to start racing again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003 | 03:28 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

Default When is Porsche going to start racing again?

After seeing that awesome video that M758 posted, it really made me emotional that Porsche is not racing. I never really followed racing before i got my 944. I know that after Porsche won LeMans with the GT1 in 1998 they had to make a choice whether to race or build a street super car, obviously they gave us the Carrera GT. With the rapid changes in the automobile market and the little struggles that Porsche has had, is it possible that they won't be racing for a while? The Cayenne isn't giving me any hope. Not to say in any form or fashion that Porsche has sold out in any way, but if they have to come out with "other" types of Porsches here and there to be able to give us cars like the Carrera GT, how would they have the time or funds to build a LeMans winner. And it doesn't seem like winning LeMans would do for Porsche what it may have done for them years ago, cause it seems like nowadays if it's not on ESPN, not many people will hear or care about it except us.
Old 10-22-2003 | 03:36 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

I don't know what goes through Porsche chairmans minds... guess they have a better idea than me.. This is probably still about "financial struggle" that led to the Cayenne. but i do know that i wanna see The CAyenne in the Dakar Rally, C4 in the WRC(never gonna happen), Carerra Gt prototype in the Lemans. But on the bright side, don't forget about Racers group and various independent teams that race new P-cars. Bring it on, Porscha!!!
Vlad.

Last edited by Russian Rocket; 10-22-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2003 | 03:38 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Um, they support the same race group we do - The Racer's Group! Doesn't that count?

- Julie
Old 10-22-2003 | 03:42 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

yeah we want factory race teams though... PORSCHE racing not porsche sponsored porsche racing... unfortunatlely that will have to satisfy us.

the one thing left for the cayenne to satiate my demands as far as justifying its production will be the CT's outright win of the paris-dakar

-Michael-
Old 10-23-2003 | 12:09 AM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

i know you guys have more input than that *bump*
Old 10-23-2003 | 12:23 AM
incessant
Racer

Well, I guess they figured that will let other teams win their battles for them. There sure are enough of them .. certainly enough GT3s and 911s in any given race..
Old 10-23-2003 | 01:04 AM
Geo
Race Director

Default Re: When is Porsche going to start racing again?

Originally posted by Dlefko
Not to say in any form or fashion that Porsche has sold out in any way...
The I'll say it. Porsche has sold out.

Years ago, the people at the helm of Porsche knew winning races sold cars. Today, the people at the helm would rather build and sell trucks than true sports cars and going racing. Until there is a major shake-up, I doubt it will change.

Racing is a major cost center. The MBAs in charge of Porsche would probably be just as happy making and selling refrigerators.
Old 10-23-2003 | 01:30 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Today, the people at the helm would rather build and sell trucks than true sports cars and going racing
What if they succesfully raced the pepper though? That would redeem it a little at least. Heading in new directions (sort of, they used to rally), but still sticking with the spirit of racing and competition.

I have a GT2 poster I got a few years back, and it reads "Spiritually, we never stray too far from the race track." I'd like to believe that again.

They need to get back in LeMans racing and see if they can show Audi a thing or two about domination
Old 10-23-2003 | 01:39 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Paris Dakar win would be great. I'd be as happy to see that as anything else. Truely a test of performance and endurance. Heck they even successfully raced the 959 in that rally as well as other 911s..

Who's to say they aren't going to stuff that V8 in something other than a ute anyway. Michael Cotton seemed to indicate there were rumblings of that a while ago in Pano.

Quick Reply: When is Porsche going to start racing again?