Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in the air cleaner box, early 944. Concern?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 10:10 AM
boomerang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil in the air cleaner box, early 944. Concern?

Found clean oil accumulated in the the air filter box of my 83 944. The car has very low mileage. Previous owner didn't drive it much, and I haven't checked the air filter all summer since purchased.

I purchased in April of 03. He had some major routine work done in 2002, I figured the filter was clean because of the recent maintenance and low mileage since. Wrong, and I'll get to that story.

But my concern. Clean oil was accumualting on the bottom of the air filter box. The filter was dry, not saturated with oil. The car has been running fine all summer. It idles fine, starts fine, seems to run fine.

Is this a concern? I have no idea when he changed the air filter last. Could have been a year or several due to the low mileage.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the biggest concern would be where the oil came from. Is there any oil on the filter itself? If so, then it came in from the top, if not, it came in from the bottom.

If it came in from the top...left or right side?

About the only way it could get in there I can think of is if one of your timing/balance shaft seals was leaking into the cover in the front & then somehow getting up the hose from the belt cover into the airbox. If this is the case, do a belt/seal job soon, real soon.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:35 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a hose on mine that went from the belt/roller covers to the air box, some kind of pressure alleviation I guess, but the Parts and Reference manual has shown that the hose is to be corked off when replacing parts. Now if that's the case, then you have some oil getting into there somewhere somehow. Not necissarily a concern, my engine was covered in oil and dirt when I took it out but never leaked a drop, go figure. I pulled my friend's PAIR valve (similar to EGR) off his 2003 GSX-R750, and there was oil in a section for the air box due to increase in crankcase pressure. If it is going to be in the back of your mind, do like I did on his bike and place a sponge type material (glue or whatnot) by the hose (if you are looking at the airbox with the hood up, it will be on the left side) infront of the hose, it will catch most of the oil and you'll only have a slight film to clean when you decide to replace it or cap off the hose and airbox. I'm guessing yours will be the same since it is also an '83. BTW, when my belt went the first time, the teeth from the belt travelled up that hose into my air box. If an clarifications are needed, just let me know.

-edit-
Scootin beat me to it. That would be a better idea, find out the extent of oil being leaked.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the purpose of the "vent" hose from the belt cover to the airbox is to keep the belt area cleener. I knew from this though that my belts were getting bad 'cuz I was finding an excess of "rubber dust" in the airbox, especially near the vent hose.

Where does the intake go after it goes into the fender? I know mine just ends in the wheel well there, but I don't think that was the original end of it. I found a piece of plastic in the area that goes from that area to down near the AC compressor, but I couldn't get mine to "fit", so right now my intake is pulling from the wheel well.

Quick Reply: Oil in the air cleaner box, early 944. Concern?