Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans to Manual Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Bill Lynch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto Trans to Manual Conversion

I posted a thread a few weeks ago seeking input on frame repair. If you recall, my 87 944NA was involved in a single car front end accident which displaced the nose by about 30 degrees toward the passenger side. I came to the realization that the frame was too badly damaged for me to repair. This was unfortunate due to the amount of work I had already put in to make a good daily driver (motor mounts, new A/C with parallel flow, new fuel lines, cleaned fuel injectors, new few rail components and filter, brakes......). And to top it off it has a very clean tan script seat interior.

Well, before I realized the extent of the damage I bought a $600 parts car that had clean sheet metal a lousy interior and a failed auto trans. I was hoping for a little body work and panel swaps into my original car. That's a no go, so now I have 2 87 NA 944's in the driveway, neither of which run. Therefore, I'm going the other way. I'll swap drive train and interior and have a decent DD again.

There a couple of threads hear (search conversion) which say it can be done and is not overwhelming. The key to fitment is the trans mount brace and carrying over the torque tube. The rest is small but tedious stuff I'll document later. So I've started the process. Original (gold) car now has the trans out, the torque tube disconnected and the engine completely prep'd for removal. (I plan to take it out the top with the bell housing on.

I have a question for those who have removed the torque tube. I realize I need to lower the rear suspension, but do the two braces connecting the two sides of the trans tunnel need to be removed and if so does additional bracing need to be temporarily installed?

I'll post some pictures once the torque tube is out. Hopefully I'll get that done this weekend and the engine next weekend.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:15 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, braces have to be removed. They're quick. Once the rear suspension is down you should be able to slide it out pretty easily. Disconnect the rear brake lines (or cut them I guess at this point) so it comes down enough.

Quick Reply: Auto Trans to Manual Conversion