Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S with 100k miles - what maintenance is due?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016 | 01:36 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Here, this one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ings-wear.html

It's got my attention. I have always been a shadetree mechanic, it has been about 13 years since I took a car in to a shop for service and that's the only time I remember doing it - but I'm not going to do engine rebuilds.
Old 07-17-2016 | 06:48 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoKart
Other than timing belt and clutch, what maintenance would you recommend for a 944S (16v) with 100k miles on it?
My '89 S2 has just over 100K on it, the engine and vacuum lines all seem fine which was a relief. I plan to replace the fuel lines but mine appear in good shape so its not a high priority. Lindsey sell a set of SS braided fuel lines but I like the price of having the local shop build me a set for $30 so I think I'll explore that first.

The suspension on my car was standard and original, over 100K on the shocks. I decided to upgrade the entire suspension to the M030 specifications. The bars were from Lyndsey, Delrin bushings and new billet aluminum rear holders from Racer's Edge. Racer's Edge adjustable drop links. PowerFlex steering rack bushings. I also deleted the power rack, bought a salvaged rack from the local yard and de-powered it, the entire rack was leaking like a sieve and you want to check and correct that if necessary since PS fluid will rot everything in the engine bay if you let it go long.

New semi-solid engine and transmission mounts from SuperMounts (Pelican).

I haven't looked at my rod bearings yet but plan to once I move to my new shop. I did buy a 3 piece crossmemember from Lindsey so I won't need to tear the whole thing back down again when I do.

The clutch and slave cylinder were shot, I used a Spec Stage 4+ and local parts store slave cylinder. Since I had the torque tube out I replaced the bearings with Black Sea Research Super Bearings and also replaced the torque tube itself with a pre-88 "non-split" TT from a local salvage yard.

New brake pads and braided stainless lines.

While I was in there I put a limited slip differential and short 5th gear in the transmission, along with a salvaged/re-built transmission oil cooler and an only944 short shift kit. That part is just because I'm building the car for the track. While I had the transmission apart all the gears and synchros were inspected and passed muster so you should be fine unless yours were abused. Mine's the heavy duty Audi transmission, not sure what went into the 944S but I think it might be the same?

So far I'm into the project about $15,000* not including labor which I mostly do myself. I did send out the tranny for the LSD install, the tools are absurdly expensive. The rest of it wasn't all that hard with the help of some of the experts on this list.

* Sorry, that includes the price of the car + shipping it to the west coast from Florida. Didn't want to shock you. About $5000 in parts.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 07-20-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: "stearing rack"? That's like those thing y'all put on the hood a yer Caddy?
Old 07-20-2016 | 11:38 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Mine's the heavy duty Audi transmission, not sure what went into the 944S but I think it might be the same?
It's similar, the S does have the same larger, stronger case as the Turbo and S2 transaxles, but has higher gear ratios to make up for its lower torque output. I believe the R&P are a little weaker than the Turbo and S2 variants but stronger than the 8 valve versions.
Old 07-20-2016 | 04:39 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SloMo228
It's similar, the S does have the same larger, stronger case as the Turbo and S2 transaxles
Working from memory, I think mine has the AOS transaxle and I ended up putting a shorter 5th gear in it so I could use the torque on the track. My favorite local track is Laguna Seca and top speed isn't my largest concern

Quick Reply: 944S with 100k miles - what maintenance is due?