Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper cover repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CO951
I found this video that shows basically what I need to do. http://www.evercoat.com/video/us/ Scroll down to "EVERCOAT Universal Adhesive Bumper Tab Repair." The mesh looks like the same stuff I have for drywall tape. Will drywall tape work? I wonder if I did that with the Gorilla Glue if it would give me the strongest results? I'm sure the stuff in the video is very expensive. Would the Gorilla Glue not release from the plastic spreaders?
Fiberglass drywall tape should work just fine. Just make sure you have proper wetout, so the GG penetrates the fiberglass mesh--not too dry, but not dripping wet, either. Keep in mind that the fibers add the strength and stiffness, the glue just holds it all fixed in place. More fiber =more strength. The surface treated needs to be chemically clean, and roughened so the glue makes a good bond. If not clean of stuff like oils from your fingerprints, the bond will not properly adhere.

Moisture from the air or from a pre-wetted surface, helps the GG to cure. Seal up the container so your unused GG does not set up in the container, becoming useless.

You could try a test patch of GG/drywall tape on the backside of your bumper cover, and see how strong and stiff it is, before going the much more expensive routes.

Quick Reply: Bumper cover repair