Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repaint 951 Fuchs white or black?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016 | 11:03 PM
glenny
Intermediate

Default Repaint 951 Fuchs white or black?

Hi. I have an Alpine white on black '86 951 with factory-optioned 16-inch Fuchs. They were originally black, but had a color change to white many years ago. Now the white paint on the wheels is deteriorating and the wheels need a respray. My question is should I attempt to restore them back to black or respray again to the color matched white? The car itself is in exceptional original condition and completely stock, except for an aftermarket cd player. The white Fuchs look very good with the white body, but I'm thinking the black will be striking and more original, and perhaps add more value to the car as original? Any opinions are most appreciated.
Old 06-17-2016 | 11:12 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Given that color matched Fuchs were a factory option on Alpine White 944s, I would say this should come down to personal preference. I happen to like the white wheels on a white 951, yet I strongly dislike red wheels on a red 951.

If you want to make it how it was delivered, you cannot go wrong with black. But the white centers will be period correct if you decide to keep them.

Old 06-18-2016 | 12:29 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think the factory finish on "black" Fuchs isn't black paint, but anodized coating. So if your concern is originality and value, black paint might not get you 100% there, just FYI / FWIW.

Personally I think black or white wheels both look good on a white car. My white 951 has silver wheels on it now, but I've considered painting them white.
Old 06-18-2016 | 03:14 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Black FUCHS are painted. As are all painted or colored center rims.

They were factory painted with Wurth satin paint,
and the only part anodized is the rim lip edge. Anodizing is an electrostatically produced finish produced when electric current is applied and creates a sealed finish which is a marbly, satin finish. Not chrome-like or shiny.

The color matched wheels were available only as black, white, platinum, and never red EXCEPT on certain RS or Clubsport options on 911 Carrera or 944 cars.
On those red, yellow, blue, and green were also available.

I have a special interest in the white color matched FUCHS as I own them on an Alpine White "Touring Package" 944 and am currently adding photos to a link on this Forum called: "Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944".

Of special note here, the color as used on the wheels isn't Alpine white like the rest of the car, but rather a close white and called by Porsche 'Grand Prix White'. And the car I own has factory color matched hubcaps but hand painted detail on the Porsche crest.
Old 06-18-2016 | 11:26 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

I'm a huge fan of white wheels on a white car. I say go white.
Old 06-18-2016 | 11:48 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

'86 - 944 natural aspirated coupe with "Touring Package" and color matched 16's. Hand painted hub caps from Porsche in '86 in Grand Prix White. The last year 944s wore FUCHS from the factory with '89 the last year on 'G' body - 911s, until 991 production brought them back in a larger wheel and in a slightly different pattern.

Seen here the day I picked it up from the previous owner after a run thru the Rockies. ( dirty and missing a few valve stem supports )
Old 06-18-2016 | 02:27 PM
glenny
Intermediate

Thanks for your input and pictures. The cars look great on white Fuchs. Any pics in white with blk Fuch are also appreciated. Here's my car as it sits now.

Old 06-18-2016 | 04:33 PM
glenny
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans

'86 - 944 natural aspirated coupe with "Touring Package" and color matched 16's. Hand painted hub caps from Porsche in '86 in Grand Prix White. The last year 944s wore FUCHS from the factory with '89 the last year on 'G' body - 911s, until 991 production brought them back in a larger wheel and in a slightly different pattern.

Seen here the day I picked it up from the previous owner after a run thru the Rockies. ( dirty and missing a few valve stem supports )
I didn't know that Alpine White cars had Grand Prix coloured wheels. Thanks for that. I'm leaning toward respraying the wheels in white. Is the finish on the wheels satin like black Fuchs or is it more glossy?
Old 06-18-2016 | 09:15 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

on all the other painted center FUCHS , the center is more glossy than the black which is originally a satin finish. They should all have a Wurth paint code to the color whether it be white or platinum or ?.........

And take note, that if you desire an original look to the wheel edge, do not high polish or bring it to an aggressively rubbed chrome look, as this was not the wheel that was produced when new. The rim has a muted silver, somewhat satin and liquid mercury look. No shiny finish what so ever.

Wax on the wheel finish and Vaseline on the anodized wheel lip; what Porsche recommends for preservation.
Old 06-20-2016 | 03:52 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Wax on the wheel finish and Vaseline on the anodized wheel lip; what Porsche recommends for preservation.
Don, do you actually Vaseline your wheel lips?

I just clean my rims every other drive, or so. Would think that Vaseline would just attract/trap more dirt, grime, and brake dust in suspension.
Old 06-20-2016 | 10:37 AM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

"vaseline your wheel lips?" sounds dirty. And discussions like that are why I stay away from car shows these days.

I would add that I used to have a gold with matched gold rims (and have seen several others with this combo) 951. I like the color matched look a lot.
Old 06-20-2016 | 11:40 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Allen,

yes I do. One has only to rub it in thoroughly with either a cloth, wipe down with a dry cloth and you are done. I do this several times a year, and leave kind of a healthy coat of it over the winter when the cars are stored and not driven.

This will not bring back any milky or discolored, stained finish left by harsh car wash soaps, or dog urine, or any bird droppings. Those become permanent to the wheel lip.

To clean them any other time of the year during driving seasons, I rinse first with cool water on a cool wheel, out of the sun. Spray the wet wheel with a bottle of P21S wheel cleaner ( or the Porsche brand ---- which is the same product made by Wach Chemie ) which I have already cut with water to 1/2 to 1/3 strength. Rinse and towel dry or air dry.

The only recommended way to keep FUCHS wheels from becoming ruined. And it is recommended by Porsche. The cleaning and rubbing in of Vaseline is written in the Owner's Manual on Anodized wheels.

this is the result:
Old 06-21-2016 | 01:15 PM
Scott in SS MD
Intermediate

Looking for the color code for Grand Prix White in the Tiger Drylac Powdercoating. This is what my guy uses but does not have a custom match yet. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2016 | 01:41 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I would highly suggest you NOT go with powdercoat, but rather use the original WURTH paint as they were painted with.

Those who have powdercoated their aluminum wheels have reported problems with chipping and peeling and not the type of result they were hoping for.
Old 06-21-2016 | 01:53 PM
Scott in SS MD
Intermediate

I'm with you 110%, however, these are my faux fuchs we're doing so I can remove and properly restore the originals.

Quick Reply: Repaint 951 Fuchs white or black?