Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-mechanically inclined

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 07:04 PM
'88-924S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that one of the reasons for the reliability, besides the pure quality from the factory, is doing most of the work myself and to a huge extent this list. I go through the posts and find others with problems I don't even know aobut yet. Then I check my car and catch anything before it goes wrong. I have a feeling that if everyone on this list loved, say Triumphs for example, rather than Porsches, then we'd be all over finding any and everything wrong and fixing it on Triumphs, making them very reliable. The passion really can make these cars go one forever.
I just picked Triumph out of the air, my bro just got a T4, so the names in my head.
Old 10-19-2003, 04:49 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, when I first got my cab,
I used to say everything gets done by a main dealer.

now I do some of the work myself/and /or good mechanic. Though this option has given me grief (see post on snapped bolts)

I still get it serviced at a dealer, mainly for the stamp which keeps the value up.

hpwever I would say the below statement holds true

"DIY could cost you more than having it done once maybe for more by a fully trained, g'teed, Porsche mechanic, preferably at a main dealer"
Old 10-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Alex Cook
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a mechanical ignoramus - but I'm getting there slowly.

Even if (like me) you don't do any of your own work, this board is still invaluable. When I'm speaking to mechanics, I can at least SOUND like I know what I'm talking about - which I hope means I'm less likely to get ripped off!

Rennlist rocks
Old 10-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard to find a good mechanic, but I've got one in Toronto I've been using for years. The main points I like about him are that he stands behind his warranty, he knows these cars so well that his diagnosis are always right, and best of all, I trust him.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:45 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Baron - check out our thread about the Canadian shops list in the Renn List "Regions/Canada" forum.

There are LOTS of good shops in and around TO.

Also - there are a number of us in TO who are toying with the idea of a 944-centric gathering of some type.

More details as that comes together.

Where in Ontario are you?

RK

Quick Reply: Non-mechanically inclined