Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 fans or just 2 speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 fans or just 2 speeds?

Normally, when you turn a 944 off after running for a while, if you leave the key in the on position, you will very clearly hear the cooling fan running. Then when you turn the key to the off or acc position, you will still hear a/the fan but much quieter. Is this an auxiliary fan or the same fan running slower?
Old 10-17-2003, 04:15 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

You should have two fans. Way it works on mine is when you shut off car the aux fan turns off, and the primary rans slower than max. In the AC position both fans will go on full wonkum.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Yep, two fans, two speeds, no waiting!
Old 10-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Well- right now, with the kay in the full on position, I hear nothing. I think maybe just the quiet fan might be running, but definitely not the loud fan. I am guessing this is way not cool.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:25 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Wouldn't worry about. Fans won't be on unless the car is hot.

Well not stolen, fans can't determine that, but youknow what I mean.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Yeah- this was after the car had been running for a while and it started to run hot. Ugh.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:39 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Wouldn't worry yet. Go through systematically (Run car at idle and see if fans go on)

Other than that, check the F'ing grounds, replace the sensor in the radiator, bleed system.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

The fan on the pass. side should be the first to come on, and it should do so when the car is above 185F. Both fans should come on with the A/C on and running. When the key is off, one or both will turn on a low speed to cool the coolant left in the radiator. Check the fuse #24 IIRC it should be a 25 amp fuse, if its blown then the fan motor is pulling too many amps (bad bearing) and should be replaced. OR just run the A/C compressor, to kick on the other fan. But that would be only temporary.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:47 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Best thing is to do the following.

Allow to cool.

Then start. Fans should be off and big hose from the water pump to the radiator should be cold. Turn the A/C on. Both fans should kick in at rapid speed. Turn the A/C off. Watch the water temp gauge. At the last white line the big hose shoud get hot as the thermostat opens. If you have a low temp t-stat then it will open at the first white line. Anyway a few seconds after the fans should kick in when the hot water hits the fan temp switch in the radiator. As the car cools one fan may shut off. Temp should be maintained in the normal (between white lines). If you turn the car off (& key out) when both fans are running. You should hear one running at a lower speed. Then after a couple minutes they should turn off. If you turn the car off when it was cool you may not hear either fan. If you turn the car off when it was warm, the fans may not be on, but then turn on as the hot water in the radiator switches the fans on.

I can't remember if the fan operation is slightly different on the early vs late cars. My description is for an early car.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Kevin,
On all my cars the driver's side fan is the first to turn on. Passenger's side is the auxillary. Not big deal. It could be that the wires are crossed.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Yeah after seeing some of the things my PO's mechanic did, it wouldn't suprise me if the fans were wired backwards.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

No kidding Kevin. When I bought this one, I discovered the balance shafts were 180 degrees out of phase!! Ask me how long it took for me to track that one down!
Old 10-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Ever hear of 5/8 ths bolts on the transmission on a Porsche? I have! Or how about a broken cheesehead tool in the drive axle bolt head. I can hear it now.."Well that one's torqued! We'll let someone else deal with it..."
Old 10-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys, the fans both run either on low or high speed on the 85.5+ cars. They are set up to run on low speed when the car gets warm (middle range on the thermostat) and then kick on high if the car gets warmer than that. The fans don't run independently. They are both supposed to either be on or off at the same time. If they aren't then there is something wrong with the system. I've checked this on both of my cars and that's the way it's supposed to be. One main problem with the later cars is that the fans will start cycling from high to low to high again. This is caused be either bad resistor packs (under the black plastic cover near the windshield) or bad/corroded contacts. My S2 had this problem and it was solved by cutting away the burned (charred) wires and reattaching the ends to the resistor packs. Now it works perfectly.

Just FYI.

Dal.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, now I need to know- one of mine isn't working- I think it's rubbing a hair- I put a new fuse in & works fine for a little while & then, next time I turn the car on, I realize it's not working & the fuse is blown- it's the passenger side that's messed up- so, do you buy the fans in PAIRS or seperately OR are they inside the box that they sit in or what? Any info on this stuff would be very much appreciated... I'm about to rebuild the engine & think this would be a good time to replace them- unless there's an easy fix???

BTW- I thought they were supposed to come on independently- when the AC comes on or when the car gets hot enough is when the right one comes on? I guess I was wrong? Anyway, I assume I should just replace the whole thing- suggestions would be appreciated...

Quick Reply: 2 fans or just 2 speeds?