Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple (few) of engine rebuild questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 04:16 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A couple (few) of engine rebuild questions...

I'm almost through deburring my block and am now looking at what's next. BTW, I was very unhappy with the quality of the casting in the most important areas. Jagged aluminum is areas like balance shaft oil galley, water passage from head to block, sheesh. Anyway, the studs in the block, main and head, are they screw in or pressed? The whole engine is getting a redo, and anything that's 20 years old has to go. Second, my crank may be screwed, don't want to go into it, but don't let friends who can't even pronounce Porsche take your crank out...so will my oil pump fit a 968 3.0L crank? Part numbers show the same, but we know how "they" like to change stuff around. If it will, then I'll have a set of FORGED *cough cough* rods for sale/trade. I'll find out about the crank today though. Sleeving...cast iron sleeves, steel sleeves, what sleeves are used? Also, need a 944S head, preferably bare, no valves, no guides, no nothing. Any of you guys have one setting around? Appreciate any help.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:16 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know the oil pump fitment?
Old 10-18-2003, 10:52 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Brad:

The main crank girdle and head studs are screwed in. Use a torch and hammer to break the bond of the thread locking agent Porsche used. Be careful with this, or you will doing time serts. There is really no reason to change the crank girdle studs.

Sleeves...no clue, call Anderson Motorworks, Speed Force Racing or another experiened engine builder about them. I went the Nicom route.

The oil pump will fit as the 3.0 liter crank has the same size main bearing journals as the 2.5 liter. The 2.8 liter stroker kits use this crank.

Quick Reply: A couple (few) of engine rebuild questions...