Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:57 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

here is another area I need to pay attention to, so took this image to remind me I need to spend more time in here. I have to get the emblem and light for this set of keys as well. ( The other set has never been used and is still in it's pristine state with dried lube from the factory on it's un-marred blades ). Bill, should I remove that grease or leave it as it tells it's own story of preservation ?
Old 01-03-2019, 03:52 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans

A couple problem areas to address yet ~

How does one effectively remove all the white wax residue on that tail light housing a previous owner got on it ?
Wow Don, she sure is looking good, those seats look like they haven't been sat on. Try using black Kiwi shoe polish on a tooth brush. It worked for me to remove white wax marks..
Old 01-04-2019, 12:05 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thank you Joe for the kind words and the tip.
I was kind of thinking along the same lines in considering using 'Black Again' rubber and plastic color rejuvenator, but this may well be a good masking agent. Did you notice if the wax streaking ever showed thru again ? Or did it clean it by removing any hint and darkened the white traces of wax ? My worst fear would be a Judge wiping a white glove across and it coming back black.

As to the seats and interior condition, ALL credit for their beauty lies in the hands of it's previous owner's care and attention to detail. Without a doubt, the car has lived a very sheltered life and has virtually no stone bruising. The color fastness of the burgundy interior is vivid; the leather is supple and un-marked or abraded. No cracks in the dash area or discoloring of any gauge markings or fading to the carpet mean it has not sat outside when not being driven, except at car shows.

When I first saw this car a number of years ago, I knew I had to try to become it's next owner if given the chance. It was a bit of a lengthy process in getting the deal done, but in the end it all fell together nicely. When the deal was made, it was in the middle of winter and this white sports car was stored in a climate controlled building with numerous '32 Ford hi-boys, MOPAR muscle, and Corvettes he owned. The owner offered to store the 944 at no charge till I had opportunity to move it in the spring when all snow and road salt had gone away. With title and registration in hand and his Bill of Sale in my pocket, I was glad for his generous offer. For ownership I had to pay up for the privilege at the time, but now in retrospect, it was a great deal. Many others, some with lower mileage and others with similar or higher miles, have since gone for much, much more money.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:51 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Good story Don, perseverance pays off. Like they say about fine art and firearms, you didn't pay too much, you just paid that price a little soon Kiwi seems to rejuvenate the white wax residue. Buffing will remove all traces of the Kiwi/white wax residue
and pass the white glove test.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:03 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I will sure keep that trick in my back pocket. Thanks !

Joe, how did you come across that low mile sweetheart you own ? Feel free to post your story here and a few pics; we are all here for the same reasons: to be entertained and educated. Eye candy is a bonus ~
Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

To tell the truth Don I slopped into that car. Back in 2010 I got a call from a friend who knew I was considering a Porsche 944 (always liked the looks) for a retirement toy. He said there was a 944 for sale down the road from him. Couple of days later I stop by and find this 1984 Guards Red 944 with 22,xxx on the clock for sale by the original owner. Bone stock but for ROH wheels and body panels arrow straight she was parked on the owner's lawn with a phone number. No one answered the phone or was home. Having looked at a few disappointing cars I wasn't letting this one get away easily so I slipped a couple of hundred dollar bills behind the rear tag and took the "For Sale" sign with me. I then left a message on the phone telling him I was buying his car. Turns out the owner had been my wife's high school Chemistry teacher. Stored inside, the paint and rubber trim bits were like new along with the black leather Sports Seats. I replaced the original belts (!), fluids and hoses and essentially had a new car. It was too nice, so I bought another 1984 944 (Goldie, a few hundred serial numbers later) to run around in, mainly just showing the red one. Later "Goldie" gave way to my S2.
For whatever reason I can't post any pictures this evening
Old 01-07-2019, 02:50 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

A Great story Joe !

I am glad you ended up with it.
There is something in all of us that loves low mileage sports cars. They exude that 'new car aura' which is so quickly lost when given over to becoming a daily driver.

I have 2 - M456 / M474 cars which both have a little over 100,000 miles on them. Both are repaints ( once ) and both are silver with black leather interior. One is a series one, the other a series two. They get used the most for just running around during the week or popping off on a couple hundred mile joy ride. I am not particularly concerned with getting them used up or having more miles put on them, such as this white 944 or my 951 - M030. Those are special to my heart in a different way. They deserve to be used with care and a bit more reserved deference to adding extreme miles, because the miles are very low on both. The finishes, the interiors, the windshields and dashes are perfect and as new. If one of the higher mile cars got a rock ding or a deer ran out and bent a fender, it would be psychologically easier to deal with on repairing a car already having a repaint.

I totally understand where your thoughts lie in regards to how you think about each of yours.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:30 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Parade prep

MGJ, I looked back at my Parade score sheet and can offer you this information. My deductions on the 911 at 2017 Spokane parade (Restoration Class):

.3 for hood gaps (My bad-I was trying to adjust the hood closure and, at the end, forgot to check the gaps. Too many other things on my mind, I guess.)
.2 for Glaverbel glass--incorrect for originality (I would dispute this)
.1 for light dust under dash lip
.1 for light dust on door retainers (circlips)
.1 for incorrect color on MFI linkage rod (Can't remember details, it's either red and should have been yellow or vice versa, according to judge--my restorer disagrees)
.2 for hinge bolts and license light screws--incorrect for originality (My restorer disagrees)
.2 for fan too shiny and belt--incorrect for originality (Ditto above)
.1 for dust under right cowl @ glove compartment area
.1 for grease on hood latch (striker)
.2 for some dirt/dust in fender wells--two judges filled out forms on these, one did not make any deductions, the other one did
.1 for dust inside rims

Final score was 298.3/300--good enough for highest category, Gmund. I was generally ok with this since restoration had been completed five years earlier, I did all the prep on my own, and it was my first Parade concours. It's probably safe to leave the "original" grunge on your keys.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:28 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Bill,

What a tremendous effort put forth to receive such a great score on your beautiful long-hood.

I have a whole new level of respect.

...... and fear.

I wonder if I really know what I am getting myself into at the National level
Old 01-13-2019, 09:06 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Relax, MGJ. If it's like the '17 Parade, you'll have a sheltered place to park your car and work on it 2-3 days before the concours. There will be lots of people beavering away on their cars and available to lay eyes on yours. A couple of people pointed out some obvious things that I had missed, probably because I had been staring at the car for so many weekends before I got there. I found it helpful to make a list of everything I wanted to check on the final inspection as well as all the cleaning items I might need. Another problem for me was that I had two cars entered in the concours (second one was entered under a friend's name). I don't advise that.
Have fun.
Bill
Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the encouraging words Bill.

Now I just need to get registered for Parade.

I was looking thru some of my photos of the day I picked this one up at my new found friend's storage garage. William was busy detailing his Corvette Roadster for a car show he and his wife were headed to after I left with the 944. A beautiful Sunday morning in the northeast side of Billings and my recently purchased sweetheart was finally going home with me. He had graciously offered to store my 944 till the snow and sand had been washed from the winter roads, so what had been a December 31/ January 1 buy was now becoming a June pickup. I was elated; he was a bit remorseful ......
Enjoy a few more images of that first day with a delightful new ride.

the view out my hotel window, downtown Billings. A great day for a Porsche drive !

The Northern Hotel.... what a beautiful old lodging with newly renovated rooms
Old 01-22-2019, 06:44 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

he must have gone thru everything four times to make sure everything was all there. And, it was.

I couldn't have been happier !
Old 01-22-2019, 07:04 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

As I was getting ready to leave the Hotel, I had to take a few photos to remember the day

Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944