Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have pics of aftermarket pedal covers &/OR...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 11:58 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have pics of aftermarket pedal covers &/OR...

I don't want a BS debate on this one about how perfect this is, or how bad that is- just plain & simple- can ANYONE out there help in any, or all, of the following ways:

1. ANYONE w/pictures of aftermarket pedal covers & how they mount to the actual pedals- I would love to see some to see how they attach- I'm wanting to bring the pedals ~1.5" - 2" closer to me & the pics MIGHT help me to devise a way myself...

2. Can ANYONE help come up w/a way to make some sort of small pedal spacer for aftermarket pedal covers? Would have to be simple & lightweight: ~1.5" - 2" total...

3. Can ANYONE help make a steering wheel spacer for a Momo wheel? It would need to be slanted, or angled, right, from top to bottom- in other words, sloped the correct way, so that the wheel would NOT continue to rise upward toward the roof of the car, as the factory line does- I assume this would bring the wheel closer to, if not completely, vertical- the Momo has already brought the wheel up 1/2" off the seat already- I would like it to be slightly LOWER than stock if anything, but, if I could get the wheel ~1"- 1.5" closer to me, w/OUT bringing it any higher, I would be ecstatic...

PLEASE- NO input on bringing the SEAT closer to the pedals/wheel, etc- that voids the WHOLE reason for doing this- I'm TRYING to get further back in the car- the spacers could be made from aluminum or carbon fibre, or whatever would work & still be light...

ANY sincere input would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks a lot to EVERYONE...
Old 10-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Minus000
Instructor

I have the opposite problem im afraid. I need everything further away (reigning in at 6'7")
Some if the aftermarket pedal covers just need to have holes drilled and then be bolted on through the current plastic, if you have pedals with short bolts, you could have some longer bolts welded on and then just use a couple of washers to space it out. You will need to adjust the play in all the pedals though as you won't be able to press them to there full position (if you planning on settings them to be just in reach)
Old 10-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

WOW! 6'7"- you're the tallest I've heard of w/one of these cars- I really think the cars are great for people in the 6'2" to 6'4" range or so- I guess we now know about where the limit is for height & comfort in these things :-)

As for the washer idea- I had thought of a similar idea- not sure if I unedrstand completely though- I'm STILL not sure if aftermarket pedals are BOLTED on or not- Are they? Does that mean people w/aftermarket pedal covers have to drill holes in the pedals themselves? IF so, I doubt I'd have to weld anything, would I? Could just thread some longer bolts through washers or sleeves & be done w/it???

You said " You will need to adjust the play in all the pedals though as you won't be able to press them to there full position (if you planning on settings them to be just in reach)" Not sure what you mean here? I'm planning to do all pedals the same way, of course- they need to stay the same relationship w/each other- I want to be able to reach them all well, and all the same...

Thanks a LOT for the input...
Old 10-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Robby-

Posted this in the other thread about the angled spacer.

This is a BAD idea. The spacer mounting surfaces need to be parallel and perpendicular to the steeringwheel shaft. If one of them is not perpendicular to the shaft, your steering wheel will no longer rotate co-axially with the shaft. Simple visualization: Take a bendy straw and attach a quarter to the end. This is your steeringwheel. As long as the straw is straight as you rotate the straw, everything is OK. Now put a bend in the straw and rotate. The steeringwheel is now taking an orbit about the axis of the straw. Not what you want to have in the car. You need to have a universal joint there to do what you are asking.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Robby
Are they? Does that mean people w/aftermarket pedal covers have to drill holes in the pedals themselves?

That is how my Sparco covers work for the clutch/brake. It is actually a two piece design; one piece bolts to the existing steel pedal and the Sparco Al cover bolts to that. Long gas pedal is a straight bolt on, easy as that pedal is plastic. I used the Sparco covers to move the brake pedal slightly to right and making heel/toeing a bit easier. Having a size 13 does help a bit though.

I don't think there is any effective way to bring the gas pedal "forward" with simple spacers. Sure you can make it two inches thicker top to bottom, but what happens when you depress it. The pedal rotates at the bottom hinge and you'd have to lift your heel off the floor to mash it. You have to do something more complicated, as in physically relocate the accelerator a few inches forward at the bottom.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:21 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

For extending the pedals look for aluminum extrusions. There are many shapes that are used in buildings that could be sectioned and bolted to the pedals.

For extending the steering wheel Momo and others have extensions. Don't know if you can stack them.

For moving the seat back: You may be able to just drill new hole locations. If not then you will have to make adaptors. A 3/8" thick steel strap would work. Counter bore the floor pan bolt holes for button heads and tap the strap/bar for the regular seat bolts.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:26 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to move the seat back, you can't just drill new holes without reinforcing the area around them. The original holes were designed with plenty of strength to hold the seat in place.

My holes stripped on my car, and I had to cut the metal out and weld a new piece in there, and tap it to take the seat bolts.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:53 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Not talking about new holes in the pan. New holes in the seat rail. Besides Robby's car has six holes, three per side, with larger bolts than our 83's. This is because the seat has the anchor for the seatbelt. Our 83's is in the side of the torque tube tunnel.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:13 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think they make the car a little rice.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:17 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by v944god
I think they make the car a little rice.
How would you see them? The pedal cover are not bolted to the fenders.

If you have ever tried to shift with wet street shoes anything is better than the factory rubber.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:19 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's not impossible to see the pedals. My friend had them in his GXL, and those things were the first thing that stood out as soon as you looked into the car. You can see that ugly red color standing out. I say you stick with your factory rubbers.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:26 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The 944 is not a GXL.

Maybe one of those neon lights and leave the door open at drive-ins.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Pedals are great! They make it easier for advanced shifting techniques and provide more grip. Besides, they usually look really nice, not ricey. I think calling them rice is a little short sighted. The ones I had were just aluminum with black rubber traction dots, nothing neon, stickered, or anything to talk smack about or put down someone elses car, therefore no rice.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm sure Momo's can be stacked- I've seen them up to 15mm- two of these would work, but would screw me- I can't have the wheel getting any higher than it is- it's already 1/2" higher off my kness since it's a Momo 350mm- there HAS to be a way to angle the spacer- simply put- make the top part 1.25" thick & the bottom part .75" thick, perfectly centered, & I can't see how it wouldn't work- the wheel would tilt more vertically, but, that's not a prob at ALL- IF I can't get the position worked out, I think I'm getting rid of the car- I've got over $23K in this damn thing- paid $9K for it- the few simplle mods I've done thus far have turned out poorly- Both Momo mods for instance- too mucn left to do to want to throw another $20K into it- too many cool newer cars out there- I just HATE to give up w/it b/c I KNOW it can be made into a REALLY cool car- there are so many things that people have made for these things that are SO much more technical, that I can't believe this would be that tough either, but...

Also, I don't need the seat to move back any further- someone who's over 6'6" or so would, but, even w/the wheel & pedals moved back 6", I still probably wouldn't have it ALL the way back on it's factory settings...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Darth Coupe
Pedals are great! They make it easier for advanced shifting techniques and provide more grip. Besides, they usually look really nice, not ricey. I think calling them rice is a little short sighted. The ones I had were just aluminum with black rubber traction dots, nothing neon, stickered, or anything to talk smack about or put down someone elses car, therefore no rice.
I agree- everyone has their own tastes too- I personally would not like to see a 951, 968, etc w/bright NEON pedal covers, but... You're right too- they do help heel & toeing- factroy pedals are too wide for simple heel & toeing- unless you have a really wide foot &/or big-*** shoes...

Quick Reply: Does anyone have pics of aftermarket pedal covers &/OR...