Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you guys run this block? I'd like yall's opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:00 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you guys run this block? I'd like yall's opinions

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
higher resolution shot of #3

No, not really. I have a set of EXTREMELY clean factory pistons and rods, and I'm pretty hell bent on using them. I've not spent anywhere near what getting a block nikasiled or redone in alusil would have cost me, not even taking the cost of new pistons into account. I'm just looking for a block that's ready to run as it, if I wanted to spend 1500 bucks on prepping a block and getting pistons, I'd be a fool to not simply build a 2.85L stroker since I have 2 other spare blocks that have issues and 3 spare cranks. If I wanted to spend $$$ I'd have done that from the start
How much do you think ductile iron sleeves cost?
Why do you think you wouldn't be able to use your pistons if you got it sleeved?

How much have you spent so far in bad blocks?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:44 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
How much do you think ductile iron sleeves cost?
Why do you think you wouldn't be able to use your pistons if you got it sleeved?

How much have you spent so far in bad blocks?
sleeving a block will cost about 700 dollars here in Austin, Tx. From what I understand, factory pistons can not be used with iron sleeves, but maybe I'm wrong there. Problem is I have 3 spare cranks laying around, so if I spent the money to sleeve I'd be an idiot to not build a stroker. Flat out, I simply don't want to build a sleeved 2.5 liter.

And I'd rather not spend the money to build a stroker. I just want a good block to slap my rotating assembly into, slap my rebuild kit into it, slap a water pump ect on it, and run it.

I've got about 750 dollars invested into 3 bad blocks over the course of the past 18 months. One of those coulda, shoulda, wouldas...you know what they say about hindsight...
Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 AM
Ak951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, I know of a running 951 engine local for $800. I know from personal experience he's willing to barter...
Old 05-24-2016, 04:21 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Why does it matter that you use OE pistons? New Wossners and a re-bore would set everything right without compromises. In my own research I was told that Wossners are compatible with Alusil bores, so no need for an iron liner.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:41 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not impossible, but unlikely. Based on what I've seen, you're more likely to find a scratch-free block in an NA. But NAs tend to get more mileage, and with mileage comes taper or barreled cylinders.

I have 2 blocks in the garage, 1 NA and 1 turbo, I think the NA block has nice cylinders, I'll take pics next time I have access to it. How do I measure the taper?

There are in fact some downsides to increasing the stroke. So you wouldn't be an "idiot" for staying at 2.5L rather than stroking it. For instance, there is more centrifugal force to sling the oil out of the rod bearings. But regardless, I understand your desire to use what you already have. Good luck finding a good block.

Quick Reply: Would you guys run this block? I'd like yall's opinions