Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can i make my car not sound like crap when started cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003 | 05:59 PM
Cass944
Drifting

Default how can i make my car not sound like crap when started cold

i work 3rd shift so when i come out to my car int he morning it has been sitting outside over night and its really cold. while im warming it up the car actually kinda hops. its not really a shake... but the car actually kinda bounces up and down ever so slightly. then if i give it some gas it stops. but it has a rough time idleing for a few minutes. it hasnt had a tune up in a while. since last winter. if i get new plugs and general stuff like that will my shaky idleing go away.

also sometimes, usualy in winter, when im giving the car some gas then let off and let it just fall to idle it drops down to about 750rpms and there is some small vibrations then it slowly makes its way back to 1000.

ive heard some stuff about a cold start valve. but i dont knwo what that is or what it does.

thanks for any info.
Old 10-15-2003 | 06:46 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

My experience is that these cars are inherently rough till they warm up.

Things that seem to help overall smoothness (not necessarily cold start smoothness) include...

New plugs
New wires
New Cap/rotor
Clean/replace injectors
Renew ALL grounding points and add grounding straps
Put in a 13B (that's an RX-7 joke)

Hope some this helps.

RK
Old 10-15-2003 | 07:16 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like it is lean when cold. Giving it a little gas and driving slow until it warms won't hurt it... I do the same thing.

Since yours is stock, it should not be doing this. (IIRC you do not have chips) Flop open the manuals and test the coolant temp sender for the DME (not the gauge), the intake air temp sensor in the AFM, and also check your fuel pressures when cold and hot. They should not very by much.

Let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: how can i make my car not sound like crap when started cold