Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

major change

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 12:45 PM
kinda5150
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major change

first off i wanna say how impressed i am with the members on this forum. i have read numerous posts over the past few days and am amazed by the amount of passion you all have for your cars. for a long time i thought i was the only one that really loved cars, especially p cars. another thing that impresses me is the selflessness that some have shown. i don't remember the post, but it was the guy who has had his 944 for 19 years and had numerous people offering free help and parts for his cause. this certainly has given me a different view of porsche owners that i did not expect. unfortunately i have been around too many who were def not this nice and would also never dream of turning a wrench. so i thank all of you for letting me be a part of this. now, onto my q, has anyone ever thought the cab of the 944 is too far rearward and wanted to chop it off and move it forward about 4"? also, i feel it's a little tall in the cab as well, so wondering if anyone has ever chopped the top? i know this sounds incredibly radical, but i thought it would be cool to try this out. i am thoroughly interested in modifying a car to be kinda a cross between a 944 and a 928. i don't have the space to perform this yet, but will be looking to do it possible next summer. there's a couple of 924's sitting at this car lot down the road that have weeds growing up around them that i think i could get really cheap, so that this might be worthwhile. just thought i'd throw this out. thanks again guys, oh, and gals. another pleasant surprise is the fact that there are ladies who love these cars as well!!
Old 10-15-2003, 02:09 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Anything is possible given enough time and money.

Lot's of 944 bodies in junk yards. Drag one home and have at it.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:40 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kinda5150? I think that there is no question - Certifiably 5150!

To your question, however: What do you want in your car after this potential modification? Looking to AutoX or significant track work at much higher speeds? Weight balance on 924's and 944's is possibly about as good as it might be in their stock configuration. Moving the cab forward might get you a little more "happiness" in the tail, but on the track this might be something you would like, depending on your driving style.

Finally - Cost. If you are looking at doing such drastic things to a 924/944, then you might be better pleased with a different vehicle in the first place. Like 911's? Even if you got your 24/44 dirt cheap in the first place, these vehicles are notoriously expensive to "bring back" into great running condition (better/cheaper to buy a nicely maintained, running example than a fixer-upper). By the time you got it mechanically and physically into the shape you wanted it in, you may have spent the same money on a very nice 911, or even something else...

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Tom
Old 10-15-2003, 02:51 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I think he's only 5149.5! Half crazy! Still it would be advisable to have someone watch him when he whips out the sawsall!

That why I suggest he get a wreck to practice on.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:58 PM
kinda5150
Racer

i haven't really considered any track or autocross with it, just from a design standpoint. i have a little experience with composites, which is why i wanna try it on a dead, no use car. at least that way i'm not out much $$. plus, doing all fiberglass or a combo kevlar/carbon would lighten the front up quite a bit and get the wt ratio back in line. right now it just seems like i'm sitting underneath the windshield. additionally, looking at the car from the side, it looks like the rear is out of proportion with the front. i love the lines on the car, which is why i got the thing to begin with. i also love the look of the 928 too, which looks better proportionally i think, albeit a little wider in the waist! a crossover of the two would look interesting to say the least. just wondered if anyone else ever had the same inclination.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:22 PM
kinda5150
Racer

so nobody has an opinion or experience in this area? has no one hoped for a new rendition of the front engined, watercooled, inexpensive car? if so, post some ideas of what you would do if you could give this wonderful car a facelift.

Quick Reply: major change