Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise when turning st wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 04:49 PM
edel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise when turning st wheel

I have a problem with the steering wheel of my S2 -89 which has started to make a really irritating grinding noise everytime I turn it. It almost sounds like someone has stuck some sand or a bit sanding paper inside the bit of the st wheel which is closest of the instr panel. The same noise has also started on my friend's S2 -89 with similar milage.
Has anybody else had this problem and how hard is it to remove the std steering wheel to remedy it?

With thanks!
Old 10-15-2003, 05:39 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

I've got the same problem, but I don't know what it is.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your powersteering FLUID levels! Make sure it's always on the markers, but take special care on the HOT and COLD levels. The HOT is for when you've been driving your car, the COLD is when the car's been sitting.

You could also have a leak in the power steering reservoir itself - my first one had that problem, so I just replaced it.

Or, you are talking about the bearings in the steering shaft itself (excuse me if I'm wrong, I have a manual rack, and having same problem, lol).

- Julie
Old 10-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Cass944
Drifting

its not the fluid, its not the actual PS pump its actually were the wheel conects to the dash. it happened to me when i did my clutch. because the car was sitting int he garage with the doors off and the top off alot of dust got in there. along with probly some sawdust and other crap. but im pretty sure theres a greased bearing type deal in there that can dry out or just get full of dust. mine does it on real dry days.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:48 AM
edel
Track Day

Yes, that's right. The noise is coming from where the st wheel and dash meet. I've heard someone mention that it could have something to do with a spring-type-affair which supplies physical connection for the horn and that this simply wears out.

Again, does anybody know how to remove he four-spoke std st. wheel easily?

VBR Edel
Old 10-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure the horn pad just pulls straight off and then the nut that hold on the steering wheel is behind it. At least that's how it is on the 3 spoke. I had that scraping noise too for a while. If I recall it was the steering column cover rubbing on the wheel hub. It was a few years ago. In any case, after taking the wheel on and off a few times to get at other things I was working on the noise went away. Must have lined something up right one of the times I put the wheel back on.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:19 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it's an '89, I'm assuming you have air bags? This means you will have to be more careful- I believe the horn DOES just pull off though- I watched my mechanic do it in less than 5min when we got rid of the sh** bags & installed my Momo, but, it's been a long time & I can't remember 100%- he did NOT disconnect the battery either, but, he know's what he's doing w/those things- I would highly advise disconnecting the battery if you DO have air bags... I think there's also a fuse in the fuse box for them also- might do the same thing & be easier than the battery... If you DON'T have Big Brother's weight adding, explosion devices, then it's very simple- I'm pretty sure the horn pad just pops-off (carefully of course) & there is just one bolt that holds the wheel on...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:24 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

it does sound like the horn connection. i have removed and replaced the steering wheel so many times in my car - I know it well!! the horn connection is actually a copper strip that is curved and contacts the backside of the steering wheel (at least this is the case with non-airbag wheels). the steering wheel is very easy to remove. pull off the horn pad, disconnect the horn wire, and remove the 22mm or 23mm nut holding the steering wheel on.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:24 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is this a SQUEAK or a scraping sound? Mine used to make slight squeaking sound when I would turn it back from one direction, but, not the other- I'm pretty sure it was the contact for the horn- I wish there was another way to connect a horn- I don't have one at all now, thanks to the Momo- I'm still trying to get that thing hooked up- it's not proving an easy task... VERY ANNOYING BTW...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:26 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally posted by Robby
- I don't have one at all now, thanks to the Momo- I'm still trying to get that thing hooked up- it's not proving an easy task... VERY ANNOYING BTW...
Robby - make sure the copper strip is actually contacting the metallic strip on the backside of the momo steering adapter. if it is making contact with the plastic part of the steering adapter, you will not have a horn. this happened to me so many times it's the reason i got very familiar with removing the steering wheel.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:26 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by joseph mitro
it does sound like the horn connection. i have removed and replaced the steering wheel so many times in my car - I know it well!! the horn connection is actually a copper strip that is curved and contacts the backside of the steering wheel (at least this is the case with non-airbag wheels). the steering wheel is very easy to remove. pull off the horn pad, disconnect the horn wire, and remove the 22mm or 23mm nut holding the steering wheel on.
Okay- sou nds like my situation- but, for future reference- the air bag cars have the same horn situation- does YOUR's work w/an aftermarket wheel? How did you make it work? There are several methods, evidently- I checked Tom Pult's site & bought the little 928 piece for the hour glass shaped hole on the '89 Turbo (like his son's) & my '88 Turbo S does not have the same little hole Haven't been back in there lately- very frustrating...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:32 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

That piece isn't even in the car anymore- the part w/the copper strip- it had to come offf to mount the wheel- SH** bag car's are different...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oow, airbag. Didn't think about that. Yeah, might want to be a little more careful than what I described.

Here is what the factory manual says exactly:

1) Disconnect battery and cover over (I assume that means place something over) pole/battery.

2) Remove driver airbag unit - loosen fastening screws (2 pieces) with a screwdriver for sockethead Torx T 30. (in the picture it looks like the screws they are talking about are on either side of the wheel between and slightly behind the spokes at about 3 and 9)

Take apart plug connector.

they note that you must set the airbag down with the upholstery side pointing up

3) Loosen hexagon nut and take off spring washer

4) mark position of steering wheel to steering shaft for reinstallation.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Diver944
Pro

In true forum style 'I had exactly the same thing'

You can see the copper strip that makes the horn contact if you open the door and from outside of the car look at the join between the horn and the dash. A drop of oil from above did the trick for mine.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:40 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For AIRBAG removal

1. Disconnect the battery - then
2. WAIT 20 minutes minumum before removing the airbag unit - and ground yourself to avoid static charges
3. put the airbag unit somewhere SAFELY away from anything that could be in harms way if if discharges, and place it flat on the back facing up.
4. rest as above.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise when turning st wheel