Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I remove the front license plate on my 951?
Yes, get rid of it!
65.79%
No, don't do it, it's not worth it!
34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Remove or not to remove...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 03:36 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove or not to remove...

I really want to remove the front license plate on my car, yet I am afraid of the possible consequences. The car lives in California. What does the wisdom of rennlist say? Any police officers advice would be greatly appreciated as well here.
~Eyal
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

If its already on, i say leave it. You will have to plug up holes otherwise. If you dont care, go for it. I leave my front plate hidden in the car under the excuse my brackets have not arrived yet. In my daily car i have the front plate all taped up around the edges with a soft tape and am going to add felt. I just stick it in my windsheild. It holds great with no movement. I live in MD and its a requirement for the front, but they usually dont pull you over for it. Its more of a hastle thing if they DO stop you for something else.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:51 PM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

i assume in california you need two plates like here in NY. I dont have one on the front...but then again i wont get in trouble, my advice is always have the plate somewhere in the car so you can use excuses like the bracket broke, i just had it re-painted or whatever...and honestly its such a minor violation that chances are officers wont give it the time of day.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by jjmson20
i assume in California you need two plates like here in NY. I dont have one on the front...but then again i wont get in trouble, my advice is always have the plate somewhere in the car so you can use excuses like the bracket broke, i just had it re-painted or whatever...and honestly its such a minor violation that chances are officers wont give it the time of day.
Yep, its required here, i know recently they had a campaign to crack down on this in lue of those traffic light cameras, but i dont think they care much anymore...
~Eyal
Old 10-14-2003, 04:11 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I much prefer the look of our cars w/o the front plates, but I've found it to be a pain to go without. I got one ticket this summer for not having one on. The car was parked at SF airport, so it was written up by some guy who couldn't even get a job as a "real" meter-maid. The other time, I got a fix-it warning from a police offer who pulled me over for speeding.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:20 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep it. Why ADD a reason for a police officer to pull you over???
Old 10-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

I think it looks better with it on anyway.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:42 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally posted by AndyK
Keep it. Why ADD a reason for a police officer to pull you over???
Excellent reason. This is why neither of my Porsches go with me on weekends out with the guys. For one, good chance they will be hit 2nd point? Neither has a front plate. It gives any cop a reason to pull you over, no matter what.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Call CHP and ask them what the fine is for driving without a front plate. If it's more than $0, keep the plate. Why expend energy to increase your legal liabilities?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has been off for years, no problems. I removed it because it is the best reflective target that radar could hope for on our cars. If the man writes you up, it is only a fix-it ticket.

As far as getting pulled over....so what. I have no fear of a cop pulling me over. He will not find contraband in my car, or any wants or warrants. All I loose is a couple of minutes. Cops pull people over all the time without reason. Yes I know they technically need a reason to pull you over, but they are smart enought to get around that. I have a much modified VW Beetle. Got pulled over for no good reason once. The cop said my car matched the description for a robbery vehicle. Funny thing is my car is white with a 2' wide gold stripe over the entire center of the car. I have never seen another like it. When I asked if the suspect car also had a 2' wide gold stripe, the cop gave me back my license and left, no comment. No harm no foul. The way I see it is, if it helps them catch a criminal, more power to them.

Last edited by Bill; 10-14-2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could do what my dad did and figure out what the german license plate # would be using the vin # and put that on the front
Old 10-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I see there is a lot of disagreement. Everyone has their own opinion on this, no real consensus. I think our cars look much better with it of, my brother runs his 2000 Subaru 2.5 RS with it off, but thats not as much of an attention getter as a young looking guy in a Porsche. Hmmm, though i like the idea of keeping it in the car and saying the bracket broke. It doesn't solve the problem of added police attention. Right now i think I'm pretty split, just like this thread, everyone brings up good points, though i may be leaning a little closer to taking it of.
~Eyal
Old 10-14-2003, 05:32 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally posted by Bill
As far as getting pulled over....so what. The way I see it is, if it helps them catch a criminal, more power to them.
Sorry for editing your post, just wanted to get to the point.

I honestly cannot believe anyone actually feels this way. You don't care if a cop pulls you over for no reason?

If cops were spending less time trying to find reasons to give us tickets there would be less criminals.

The police in my area serve one major purpose. Bill collecting for the state's f*cked budget. A cop told a friend of mine as he wrote up a huge ticket for every little thing wrong with his trailer that the state came down real hard on the state police to start enforcing every itty bitty traffic violation to help with the budged. They say police don't have a ticket quota? BS.

I have nothing but respect for the job itself and the fact that they are underpaid civil servants. Its the state governments not letting them do their job - catching the bad guys.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:55 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Check your state laws. It's probably an ordinance violation at worst - fine only. However, few people obey ALL laws ALL the time. You're giving a cop probable cause to pull you over. If you ever come home from a friend's after having a beer, don't give the cop a reason to pull you over. A DUI b/c you didn't have front plates is a high price to pay.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:05 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Only one plate required here. I have the black plate with the "PORSCHE" script and badge on it up front. When people don't believe it's what I say it is I'm like, "Yeah, I'm into putting 'Powered by FERRARI' or what not on my cars." Usually they take offense to it, because they are usually the ones who have the Honda power in a Toyota, or a VTEC badge on a Geo. If they'd use stickers from ultra-performance machines, they might start going faster. I'll tell you like I tell some of my girl friends, if it won't bother you, take it off. But then again, it will always bother someone.

Hey, my vote just broke the tie...9 for off, 8 for leave it. It's settled.

Quick Reply: Remove or not to remove...