Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - replacing rear brake hoses

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 01:55 PM
jpapanas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - replacing rear brake hoses

I'm replacing the stock rubber brake hoses with braided stainless steel brake hoses that I got from Paragon-Products.

I got the fronts installed ok, but I am having trouble removing the rears. I was able to disconnect all 4 hard line connections, but on one of the stock rear hoses, the fitting on the hose is seized in the hole in the mounting tab on the aluminum trailing arm.

It was difficult, but I was able to remove the spring c-clip. The corrosion around the fitting is really bad though, and it almost seems to be welded on! I tried tapping it lightly, but it won't budge. I'm afraid that if I bang on it harder, I might break the mounting tab off the trailing arm.

Any suggestions on how to go about removing this?

By the way, the braided stainless steel brake hoses from Paragon-Products are really nice and DOT approved - they have a plastic coating covering the stainless steel braid which prevents dirt and moisture penetrating the braid. At $65 a set, they are much less expensive than new stock rubber brake hoses - this is the main reason I purchased them - I doubt that they will make much of a noticeable difference in brake pedal feel.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited by jpapanas; 10-14-2003 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:37 AM
jpapanas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was finally able to get the rear brake hoses off!

I first used a pick to scrap off as much of the corrosion around the head of the fitting as possible. This exposes the groove where the spring c-clip goes. Then, using a 17mm wrench on the other side of the fitting, turn it back an forth. This breaks the fitting loose from the aluminum mounting tab on the trailing arm and allows you to push it out through the hole.

Clean up the remaining corrosion on both sides of the mounting tab and apply anti-seize before mounting the new brake hose and you're good to go!

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply: Help - replacing rear brake hoses