Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Mileage 924S Value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Mileage 924S Value?

Hello all,

I've had a few modern Porsches but sold my last one a while back - new kid, new house, life, you know how that goes - and have gotten back into looking for the next one.

I've always liked the simple lines of the 924 and a pretty decent sounding one popped up near me for sale and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on value.

It's an '88 with 39.5K miles. Black on Black. The owner has almost complete documentation on the car and everything that came with the car when it was bought new, even the flat tire change bag and gloves are there and unused. All original paint in almost new condition. Within the past 2 years he's done the timing belt, idlers, water pump, all new hoses, cross drilled rotors, stainless break lines, and new master cylinder. The only thing that throws up a flag to me is he had to have the odometer repaired due to some small nylon gear stripping last year. It comes with 2 additional sets of phone dial wheels. He says it's not a concourse car but isn't far off. The interior is like new.

Most 924's I see for sale range from about $2500 to $5000 but I imagine this one's worth more than that. What do ya'll think?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2016, 05:04 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Add those two figures together and it would be about at the bottom of that curve of a perfect 40,000 mile car. Nearly concours perfect.

The fact it has all those things done to it, PLUS the extra sets of wheels ( make sure they are the correct offset ) and is a somewhat well documented car, gives credence to a fair value upwards of that number.

IF:

there isn't a bunch of miles put on in the meantime. Ask for documentation as to the time and mileage driven without the speedo gear being replaced. If it's less than 100 miles or so, it shows it was given the attention it deserved.

A 924 or 944 with this many ACTUAL miles should show as new. There should be zero wear on the interior surfaces and most likely a dash which has no cracks. It should have lived almost it's entire life in the dark of a garage and have no issues with delaminating glass, torn or cracked leather or vinyl, and no carpet fade in the rear hatch. A felt sunroof seal with all the 'mouse fur' still attached and not rubbed down to the vinyl welting.

I own several with low mileage with appropriate representation of the 'soft' items still showing as new. If this 924 is this great of condition, wearing original paint and patina representing a low mile garage queen, I wouldn't even be afraid to go higher. Care is important. It should go hand in hand with respecting the car with proper mechanical service regimen and proper care of paint, soft trim, NO WINTER usage in salt, no gravel roads and a minimum of sandblasting on the front, and giving the appearance of a nearly new car.

EVEN if it is 28 years old.
I hope for all the best in the purchase of a GREAT 924.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:16 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I should also add this:

Among the things it still should have are-
- the original owner's manual and warranty book
- the spare tire compressor with all attachments and nothing broken or missing
- an optional tire pressure gauge in it's vinyl bag ( maybe. some have them and some don't )
- hopefully the original Monroney window retail sticker from Porsche
- the original Blaupunkt stereo and speakers with NO cut-ins in the rear carpet or doors
- All bills and sales receipts from every previous owner to day one
- NO curb rash on any of the phone dials, especially the ones date coded to when the car was made
- NO broken glass or tint you need to scrape off. ( this can be a positive or a negative, but not on a concours show car )
- New tires of the correct size
- no issues on runability or any aftermarket mods of add ons to the engine. If you are looking for and at a low mileage show car, all the stuff people do to make them go fast, also make them NON Original. And this will detract from value of a perfect car as it came from Porsche.
- NO issues with the sunroof working flawlessly.
- If it came with a back window wiper, hope it's still there and performing perfectly as they are VERY hard to find in their entirety. And expensive. The rear arm is like gold but even harder to find.
- Does the rear privacy shade work ? Is the carpet clean, unfaded, and untorn ?
- Does it still have the original Porsche muffler and stainless finisher or is there an aftermarket exhaust on it ?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 PM
lfisher
Advanced

According the December 2014 issue of Excellence a 1988 924S in excellent condition is worth $8000.00. I don't have a newer 924 Market Value issue, but think the value has come up since 2014.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:40 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

A clean 924S or early 944 is getting hard to find, they're going up in value while the ones that are rattier are not. lfisher's reference seems fair...I'm not saying you should offer that much, but know that it's worth that much to some people. I'm sure you could get it for less. People have offered me $5k for my early NA that's not as clean as that 924S and it wasn't even for sale.

Last edited by odonnell; 05-05-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies so far!

The owner sent me a link to his photobucket with 75 or so pics and everything looks great, although I know pictures can be deceiving. It's got the air compressor and all that stuff. The owner has the cars original invoice, window sticker, build sheet (which he had translated into English), and copies of the titles from previous owners. He hasn't mentioned any modifications besides the brake rotors, I'll have to ask him.

Hopefully I can go check it out soon and give it a good once over. You guys' ideas on value have been more or less in line with mine. Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

And an aftermarket radio/CD player. Does anyone know where you can find an original radio that would have been in it?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 PM
lfisher
Advanced

Here is one for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201571542292...84.m1555.l2649
Old 05-05-2016, 11:23 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The June 2016 edition of EXCELLENCE shows top value of an excellent 924S of either '87 or '88 model years to be at $8,000.00.

BUT, as with variances in cars available at that price, keep in mind a vehicle showing ABOVE excellent or BEYOND the norm will command a definite percentage of value over that figure.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:33 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that if you can get it for under 10k its a good deal.
Low mileage cars with original paint are stupid expensive and will get even more stupid expensive.
Odometer gear cracks because age not because use.
88 models are the most sought for.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:27 AM
bagpype
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up a bone stock, sunroof delete 1987 944 with 42k original miles. Just about perfect in everyway except the fact that it's an automatic. No accidents, two previous owners. The kid I bought it from was told it needed an engine but I soon discovered that the oil cooler was cracked. I bought the car for $1000. This in no way should ever be used as an example of value. lol
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

First and foremost, please do NOT view the 924s as a "well I couldn't quite afford a 944" car. They are all that's good about the water-cooled, front engined P-car. Better yet, think of it this way: the 924s is a 944 without the 80s shoulder-pad fashion-look and that's the look Mazda was going for in the RX7 -- it certainly wasn't a 944-clone look.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:43 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

The odo fix is fine if it was done quickly.

Make sure the title doesn't say anything like "true mileage unknown" and that carfax doesn't see it either. If it was caught then it definitely impacts the value.

I had a 94 968 which had the odo replaced at the dealer. Certified and notarized with a form and everything. The dealer would not advance the mileage so it did not add up in reporting. When I went to sell the car half the perspective buyers passed due to the odo despite the clear documentation.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely look into the odometer more and will try to get a carfax on it. I haven't had a chance to go check it out yet, I'm in the merchant marine and I'm still out to sea for a few days.

I know what you mean about the shoulder pad look of the 944. It almost looks too aggressive. I much prefer the simple lines of the 924, and from what I understand in 1988 had basically the same mechanicals as a 944 and is better aerodynamically. So, why would you even want a 944? Lol
Old 05-11-2016, 08:13 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Freipo
So, why would you even want a 944? Lol
The revised dash on 85.5 and newer.

Quick Reply: Low Mileage 924S Value?