Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual sunroof conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 02:35 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sid
Old 10-13-2003, 04:47 PM
gordyboy
Advanced

Thanks Sid, great write-up. How about some info on the parts required? (where do we get them, parts numbers, cost, etc..)
Old 10-13-2003, 05:15 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Sure. Find out and tell me and I'll pu them in

I bought a used Manual roof and had it painted. Alls you need is the clasps though.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:18 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

i have a 924 sunroof at my house. nees painted, but its in good working order. $100 and shipping will take it... if i don't decide to use it in our 85.5...

-Michael-
Old 10-13-2003, 05:20 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Just to make sure, all we would need is the two rear clasps that mount on the sunroof itself, right? And it looks like they mount into the existing screw holes that you take the powered sunroof bracket/channel thing out of, right?

Dang, I am almost giddy about this! I just located a set of the rear clasps for $50. Can anyone beat that price?

Regards,
Old 10-13-2003, 05:25 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

That's it, that's all you need. Now do you see I kept telling everyone to do it.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:19 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Just a word of warning. If you have a late model car, check for spacing before you start throwing stuff away, or ripping stuff out. Put the clasps on the sunroof, set it in placeand see if the latches will go were they need to go.

I've looked at the spacing on late model cars and I don't see a problem. But it would be nice if someone would perform an idiot check.

That is all. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:55 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Good one Sid,,

I remember when you started this project, and was wondering if you ended up having to get a bracket made.

I picked up a pair of 924 latches on fleabay for 26.00 a couple of weeks ago. Had them sitting in the tool box and BAM, you posted the write up.

So, I just went out and switched one one of them out, and I guess you have to pull the original lifting arms out to have a place for the manual latch to fit into to lock.

I'm gonna use my electric setup in the manual mode till it gives out.

For those you don't know there is a slot in the main gear of your electric setup that you can use to manually raise, lower and remove your roof, using a large flat blade screwdriver. I have been using it this way for about a year. It's only a matter of time before I wallow out that slot.

That's when I go to plan "B", now that I know how easy it is to do.

Thanks for the research and development Sid
Old 10-13-2003, 06:58 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Dang. I wouldn't call getting some brackets and going "Well damn, would ya look at that" Research and developement.

But thanks, all.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sid, those pictures are exactly what I was waiting for. Nice job!

Regarding manual roof panels, they come up on eBay fairly often. I just bought one complete with all the clasps and a good interior panel for about $50.00 including shipping. I only bought it for the interior panel. The power sunroof interior panel it a little bit different.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:04 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

It is. The manual lets the handles come further down.

Just so you know Monkey boy. Swapping interior panel aint that easy. They use plastic pop rivets. Basically have to ruin them to get them out. Your going to need to find a bunch of new ones.

I did forget a bit. You should cut out a smeal section of the cardbaoard backing of the headliner to let the latch handles go down a little further. assuming your putting the clasps on a power panel, rather than a manual. Think I still have my old header panel, wait, no I don't

Well I'll see what I can do. The short version is you need to cut the cardboard back a little bit (saving the vinyl to glue over to give it a finished look.

Not much. Maybe 1/2 an inch or so.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:10 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I know about the panel fasteners. Little pains in the **** they are. I replaced my sunroof panel a couple years ago because the PO had dropped it or something and it had a bunch of huge stress crack in it. I had to reuse my old interior panel though. I found some non OEM fasteners at Pep Boys that looks acceptable and can be reused, so I should be OK.

I'm trying to locate a headliner rear valance for a manual roof. I'm going to have to trim the current one as you describe for now though.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:13 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I think I have a set of the receivers for the rear latches. I'll snap a pic or two tomorrow and see if you think they are what I think they are. They were in a box of small part I got, including the rear latches.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:24 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sid- in your first post here, you say- "do not remove header panel," but, in your write-up, #2 says "remove header panel." ??? Personally, I would think you would have to, as you would have to modify, slightly, the panel to allow the rear latches to fit in...

Someone said the manaul does not tilt the panel as high as the electric- I compared some a long time ago & the manual was DEFINATELY higher- by at least 1"! It's only prob then, was, no adjustability, but, the range b/t 0" & ~3" isn't much to begin with anyway... The pic listed in this thread, however, does not appear to be the same- makes it look like the manual isn't very high- maybe Porsche made several different lengths for the manuals???

Also- Sid said you could lose 25-30lbs at most- I assume you meant this by deleting the sunroof altogether? My electric panel weighs 19lbs by itself- that would be at LEAST half of the overall weight of the SR system altogether I would think- based on what I've seen- the 924 (manual) panels are several pounds lighter (2-3), so, even when losing the motor, etc, I doubt you'd lose more than 10lbs total unless you went w/a carbon fibre panel replacement, which, NO ONE makes yet, w/out it being for full race & welded into place, never to be used for it's original purpose again...

Sid- your picture b/t #3 & #4- do you not remove the entire box that contains the gear arms, etc from the roof? Are you leaving the pieces the same as they are in THAT picture when converting to manual? I've never had those boxes off before,so I have NO idea what it looks like inside, but, have always ASSUMED they would weigh ~2lbs each & would be nice to delete entirely, IF possible(?)...

THANKS A LOT for doig such a project & write-up! I REALLY appreciate it- I've been wanting to do this for a LONG time, as the SR set-up for these cars is one of their most ridiculous features...

Thanks...
Old 10-14-2003, 01:32 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Confusing I know. Difference is that I mentioned "Sunroof" header panel, I'll change the procedure to say, rear valence. I am talking about the cool looking bit that runs along the upper part of the B-pillar.

You have to remember that when you remove the Sunroof, you have to replace a lot If it's a straight race car, and you don't have any header material then it's a minumum. But if you want to have a finished look inside your going to have to add some brackets and the like.

You remove the part of the box that contains the gear arms. (the cover and the gear arms themselves) you need to leave the base on to have something for the latches to mate with.

The panel itself does not have to be modified. THe plastic piece that the gear arms mate with needs to be removed, and the latches bolt in the same place.

Quick Reply: Manual sunroof conversion