Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WTB: Lifters

Any body by chance have some rebuilt oem 8V lifters lying around? Two of mine are soft, and I want to replace all of them just to be safe. 944online and Lindsey Racing are both out of stock ad I would like to avoid waiting.

I don't want to buy new Ina lifters as I have heard nothing but bad things about them. New oem lifters are waaaayyyy out of my budget.

Has anybody found interchangeable lifters from other brands? I know there's some lightweight VW lifters for the 16V cars.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:14 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

rebuilt? no...but i have a spare set thats been sitting in oil for 10+ years.

but there really shouldn't be anything to wear out in a lifter...its just two metal shells with a spring and oil space in between. something is probably stuck...you could just clean the hell out of them.
WD40 is supposed to be good for this.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:57 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
rebuilt? no...but i have a spare set thats been sitting in oil for 10+ years.

but there really shouldn't be anything to wear out in a lifter...its just two metal shells with a spring and oil space in between. something is probably stuck...you could just clean the hell out of them.
WD40 is supposed to be good for this.
So just spray the heck out of them? In the little hole and everywhere else you can get it to go?
Old 04-22-2016, 12:59 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's generally not a good idea to mix and match used lifters because they wear in with their cam lobe right?

Either way, I'm doing this as kind of a preventative thing so that I don't get any more soft lifters, or worse a stuck lifter.

After watching Van's video, I believe the little ball in the check valve is gunked up in two of my lifters...and I don't think that squirting wd40 into the little hole on the side of the lifter will be able to clean all the way inside the check valve. So I think my best option is to send the lifters to someone who can take them apart and clean them.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:38 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

If you know someone with an ultrasonic cleaner, You might put them in there with a solvent. After about an hour of jiggling around in there, they should become ungunked. Perhaps some bulk brake cleaner or thinner? Hopefully mine will be able to pump again..Since all the oil drained out of them. I was able to move the bottom of them a little bit...Two were hard, but the car has been sitting for 10+ years with no running. After spraying the two hard ones with brake cleaner, I was able to decrud them, and they became just like the rest..a bit soft. so time will tell.. I understand that they will clatter like hell for about 20 minutes and then calm down.. at least that's what I'm hoping for.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:53 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mixing them isn't a big deal. You just need to make sure they spin smoothly in the bore when you drop them into the valve cover. Best deal on lifters is Plyhammer. I ordered from him when I did my rebuild and all of them were good, but it wouldn't hurt to order some spares at that price. http://plyhammersparts.com/collectio...ydrolic-lifter

Quick Reply: WTB: Lifters