Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Drift R&D

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016 | 06:51 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by ST1TCHE5
Alrighty. another thing im trying to take into account is the availability of parts when the inevitable happens so i dont have to wait weeks for something
Ask questions in the Turbo and Turbo S section. Several failed swaps on this board that doesn't tons of money or tried something new with not enough.
V8s and modified 8v and 16v are the way to go unless you have 50k to burn. A good 16v with things done right will cost about half that.
Old 04-07-2016 | 01:43 PM
Ak951
Instructor

I'm shooting for somewhere around 800 HP. Do you think the 951 transaxle would hold up to that along with me treating the clutch like a kid does a anthill? I like the idea of a transaxle due to the weight distribution advantages and it puts less torsional stress on the chassis, but I wanna make sure whatever is in there isn't something I have to replace every season. I was looking into using a t56 maybe dog box or v160 budget permitting. I was thinking about maybe using a Corvette transaxle but shortening the torque tube alone seemed like to much work for whats it's worth not to mention it's most likely too wide to fit anyways
No it won't survive. If you're serious about drifting one and want to REALLY beat the **** out of it like a proam car, you'll need to fab up a rear end and eliminate the transaxle. No beating around the bush. It won't take repeated abuse anywhere NEAR those power levels. Cut out the torque tube tunnel and run a front engine/front trans/rear diff setup. 1/2j, vq, coyote 5.0, lsx, v6 ecoboost, etc....make it work ONCE. I think a boosted m or s52 would be fun too. And a boosted vr6.
Old 04-07-2016 | 04:12 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

I'm in no way an expert on how the transaxles hold up to stress other than what I've read around here, but isn't there someone that makes a plate for them that provides reinforcement that helps it withstand much higher stresses at the location that usually causes them to break?

I'm all for seeing someone do some crazy swap into one of these though. In my opinion go VQ. There's guys getting massive power boosting the VQ37 motors.

They can be found cheap on ebay as well and are about the same dimensions width x height as an LS so it would probably fit in the engine bay (likely require oil pan mods though).

Not to mention there is an all-wheel option for 4 wheel drifting if that's your cup of tea.
Old 04-07-2016 | 10:19 PM
ST1TCHE5
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Ak951
No it won't survive. If you're serious about drifting one and want to REALLY beat the **** out of it like a proam car, you'll need to fab up a rear end and eliminate the transaxle. No beating around the bush. It won't take repeated abuse anywhere NEAR those power levels. Cut out the torque tube tunnel and run a front engine/front trans/rear diff setup. 1/2j, vq, coyote 5.0, lsx, v6 ecoboost, etc....make it work ONCE. I think a boosted m or s52 would be fun too. And a boosted vr6.
That's what I was originally thinking, and I'll be honest. I'm not gonna be nice to this car lol. I already have a complete rear subframe off a mk3 supra I used to have that I was thinking about using. Might go with something slightly newer and more common. At the very least I can use it to figure a few things out. Didn't think about using a vq, might have to look into that as well
Old 04-07-2016 | 10:47 PM
Ak951
Instructor

That's what I was originally thinking, and I'll be honest. I'm not gonna be nice to this car lol. I already have a complete rear subframe off a mk3 supra I used to have that I was thinking about using. Might go with something slightly newer and more common. At the very least I can use it to figure a few things out. Didn't think about using a vq, might have to look into that as well
Maybe find a wrecked 240sx and use the rear subframe/suspension...cheap, handle great, easy to get parts for, etc...definitely a proven setup. You can find a 6spd and vq in junkyards now for dirt cheap. That combo would definitely be fun!
Old 04-08-2016 | 12:14 AM
ST1TCHE5
Cruisin'

Kinda like the idea of using a Ford 9" IRS diff or a quick change IRS diff. Both use 930 CV axles, I'm assuming people usually use 930 hubs and make their own spindles?
Old 04-12-2016 | 04:15 AM
ST1TCHE5
Cruisin'

Decided I'm gonna go with either 240sx, mk3 supra, or mk4 supra rear hub assemblies and utilize the stock suspension design, with adaptors to use a 9" or quick change diff and 930 CV axles and make a subframe to hold everything to the car. I'll work on some cad drawings and post them when they're done to hopefully get some feedback

Quick Reply: Project Drift R&D