Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rack rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Sugar999
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack rebuild

Hi all, new member here. Glad to be aboard. I have an 1984 944 NA. i am currently doing a PS rack reseal. I am ready to start the reassemble however i have run into a concern. I did not note any orientation marks of the control valve assembly when i removed it from the tower. I figured that as this thing constantly turns in the tower why would there be a need for neutral position??. As i reassemble im not so sure now. Is there a specific position that the valve assembly needs to be in relation to the tower valve hole locations and (possibly) the rack position?

thanks all

Mark
Old 04-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

(I believe) There is an index on the splines and within the u-joint of the steering shaft. I take it this was not noted during disassembly?

All is not lost. Center your steering wheel. Make a note of the approximate location of the open slot (missing spline) in the connector. Use this as a reference when repositioning the control valve assembly within the housing. You will want to place this properly with respect to the above reference and at the same time, as close as possible to the center of rack travel.

Once you are ready to put the rack back in the car, you will need to be sure the coupler and the splined shaft engage properly observing the noted unique feature.

Disclaimer: It's been a while since I last did this, but you should see what I am talking about if you take a close look.

If this is not entirely accurate - I am sure we'll hear from someone that has done this more recently. Regardless, there is also the flat on the splined shaft that allows for clearance of the through-bolt. This is a good point of reference as well.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Sugar999
5th Gear

Thanks for the feedback. Okay so i have my rack centered (there is an alignment mark with a threaded viewing port on the tower). With this centered, if i align the spline as you describe above with the u joint then all should be good........NO?.......anyone???......Bueller....Beuller
Old 04-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Bueller is on the Ferrari forums.

You should have enough information to put this back properly. Do a check with the wheels centered and verify that lock-to-lock each direction takes an equal amount of steering turns. If for some reason you are off - you can remove the steering wheel and relocate until it too is centered.

Good that you found the alignment marks in the pinion assembly.

You may also want to check Clark's Garage for time-tested advice and repair procedures. I believe he also has links to the workshop manual.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Sugar999
5th Gear

Thanks Scott.........my main concern is alignment of the rotary valve ports inside the tower. I still have a rack on the car. The one i am rebuilding is a spare. Once i have the on-car unit removed i can clock the position of the splined shaft end (with the rack centered) and then correlate it to my rebuild one. Think i might be good. My **** is not twittering as much now

Quick Reply: rack rebuild