Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Caps - Who has painted them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 10:13 AM
boomerang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Center Caps - Who has painted them?

Small winter project: Any suggestions for painting the center caps? Would like to do this myself and need to know type of paint and color names or codes.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just another option FWIW...

This is a good project and you can certainly paint the caps but..., consider that the painted caps do not look as good as an inset cloisonne badge, IMO. Although a somewhat expensive alternative, the Porsche 356 hood badge fits perfectly on the cap, it's easy to install and looks good forever.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought paint pens from Walmart, they are made by Hunt. They can be found in the crafts section (along with yarn...etc). Make sure you by fine tip markers...you will need gold, black, red and maybe silver depending on how good you are with the markers. From the automotive section also in Walmart pickup a can of Duplicolor Ultra Silver spray paint and a can of Duplicolor Clearcoat. But this is assuming you have phonedials and not cookie cutters or Fuchs. If you do have black centercaps, you probably just need to get gloss back spray paint instead.

Basically what i did was clean the centercaps. I then sparayed 2-3 layers of UltaSilver and let them dried. Now i colored in the crest with the paint markers..you will see what i mean by fine tip markers. Let that dry, then sparay 2 or 3 layers of clearcoat. Looks great and has lasted me about 3 months now.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:38 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

I am kinda partial to unpainted caps. Maybe black outlined thats about it. Unless there are those crested center caps. NOW THOSE ARE AMAZING! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-10-2003, 10:57 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I went to AutoZone and got touchup paint. It's been nearly a year and they still look good!
Old 10-10-2003, 11:08 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 944S2NUT
I am kinda partial to unpainted caps. Maybe black outlined thats about it. Unless there are those crested center caps. NOW THOSE ARE AMAZING! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Me too, but mine are in tough shape. They have nicks in them.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Yan
Instructor

I used the same technique as Techno Duck, except that I used some Tremglad heavy duty paint and covered it with the Walmart clear coat. I can't remember the color codes, but there aren't many! It was something like "fire red" and the standart yellow. I think it looks great! It still looks exactly like on the picture even after 2 years. If you wanna do a decent job, expect to spend at least 45 min. / 1 hour per cap.

Enjoy!

Close up
Old 10-10-2003, 01:21 PM
oi-punx
Racer

I used Wurth silver lacquer and Plasti-Kote clear. The crests were detailed with testor's enamel and after letting it dry for 5 days I recleared the whole thing. Prep was accomplished with degreaser, fine grit sandpaper and steel wool.

Before

After

Another set I did with the same paint and clear, but the crests were polished instead of painted

Old 10-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

Learn from my mistake...make sure you use a clear coat with some gloss. I am an idiot and used non gloss finish. I thought this would make no difference but it changed the colors in a bad way. Good luck. If you are a perfectionist or obsessive compulsive, prepare to spend a lot of time on this!
Old 10-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Chris's Loss
Instructor

Definetly use a clear coat- I'll be re-doing mine over the winter... I too am a perfectionist.. I used Testors paints and a small detail brush.. Look in the archives for the write ups..
Old 10-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Testor's Model paint in spray cans for the clear coat and base coat. For the details I used Testor's brush on and a small paint brush.

I cleaned the base metal first and then sprayed a coat of gloss black.
Then I masked off all but the emblem and sprayed gold.
After adding the detailed parts I sprayed two coats of Testor's clear.

Quick Reply: Center Caps - Who has painted them?