Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016 | 02:13 PM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Default Introduction

Hello, I'm a new member here in Northern Virginia--just picked up a 1985.5 944 in Graphite Metallic with 209,000 miles on the clock. Yes, I know it has a lot of miles, but it's been in a single family for most of that time and seems to be well taken care of. PO lowered it, added some 951 suspension bits, chipped it, rebuilt the top end, and added a nice cat back. I've turned wrenches on a number of cars in the past, and look forward to breaking this one open. I love the lines of the 944 as well as the light and well-balanced weight. I've only taken it out once so far but it's a fun little car!
Going to do a lot of searching and studying here to fix the things I need to fix and change other things just because. Some things I've noticed that need immediate attention are: worn front control arm bushings, small oil leak near the front, broken hatch seal, rough idle, sloppy shifter, non-engaging a/c clutch, and a droning noise at hwy speeds. The list of 'just because' or 'good to great' changes is too long to list!

Last edited by 944 Lachlan; 04-02-2016 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 03-30-2016 | 03:06 PM
911lnv87
Racer

Hi and welcome, I am also in NOVA with a graphic metallic 951, enjoy your car and you will see a lot of resources is available here for all your needs and questions.
Make sure you do the must do first:
- timing belt
- water pump
- fuel lines
- return lines

for the control arm, you shall look for rebuilding those as they are pretty pricey new.

Enjoy
Old 03-30-2016 | 03:54 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Points to consider: There are NO small leaks in these cars. When one starts, the others will soon follow. While you are in there (WYIT) doing the belts and W/P, replace the front seals top to bottom. Also the throttle body shaft seals. You can get them from Arnnworx. Check the belt rollers and idlers for noisy spin. Replace if needed. Where the sloppy shift is concerned, go to Only944.com and purchase the short shifter and linkage kit. It makes the car shift like a new Porsche. Ask anyone who has bought one. Which hatch seal is broken? The surround seal or the one around the lock. Where's the droning noise coming from, outside, inside, front or rear? How are the tires (age and condition). Also check the battery box with the battery removed to see if it's rusted out and leaking into the passenger foot-well. Outside of that, you'll love the car. I've had 3 and am now restoring an '86 951.
Old 03-30-2016 | 04:20 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

If there are no pictures... it doesn't exist...
Old 03-30-2016 | 04:27 PM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Originally Posted by elgy
If there are no pictures... it doesn't exist...
Lol fair enough! Will post when I get back home this weekend.
Old 03-30-2016 | 05:09 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Droning noise is probably wheel bearings if it's coming from the front.
How do you know it's the front control arm bushings? Because if there is play I think it's more likely the ball joint?
Sloppy shifter is common and there are some great write-ups to tighten it up.

Sounds like some fun stuff to diagnose and fix!!

Welcome to the 944 world!
Old 03-31-2016 | 12:12 AM
FlyBoy1986
Advanced

Unhappy new member and have lots of questions

I recently purchesd a 1985.5 944 base model. i ignorantly pulled off the balance and timing belt and moved the crankl and cam pulleys a little. how do I get back to TDC without bending the valves?
Old 03-31-2016 | 01:02 AM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Thanks for all the quick advice! I will look around the site for diys on timing belts, water pump, etc. The PO did a pretty decent job maintaining it but I haven't found a log among all the spares he left with the car, so I'm going to have to figure out what's in immediate need and what is good for a while. I saw the shifter and linkage at only944.com-- it's definitely on my list. It's the main Hatch seal that's broken. I can see daylight through one spot of it. The droning is coming from the outside--PO warned me he thought the right rear cv bearings were getting worn, so that may be it. Tires have good tread, but I didn't check the dates on them. PO didn't drive it very much so they might be old. I saw a rust spot behind the battery and spayed some primer on it-- need to pull the battery and check for more-- any other spots that are bad for rust? Battery doesn't have a Tie down either, need to get that. Good question about the control arm. I took out in for safety inspection and they failed me for a worn control arm bushing. I need to get under there myself next weekend and see what's going on.

Sorry I can't help you find TDC, flyboy, but it sounds like there's plenty of folks here who can get you more information.
Old 03-31-2016 | 01:37 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lachlan Belcher
Thanks for all the quick advice! I will look around the site for diys on timing belts, water pump, etc. The PO did a pretty decent job maintaining it but I haven't found a log among all the spares he left with the car, so I'm going to have to figure out what's in immediate need and what is good for a while. I saw the shifter and linkage at only944.com-- it's definitely on my list. It's the main Hatch seal that's broken. I can see daylight through one spot of it. The droning is coming from the outside--PO warned me he thought the right rear cv bearings were getting worn, so that may be it. Tires have good tread, but I didn't check the dates on them. PO didn't drive it very much so they might be old. I saw a rust spot behind the battery and spayed some primer on it-- need to pull the battery and check for more-- any other spots that are bad for rust? Battery doesn't have a Tie down either, need to get that. Good question about the control arm. I took out in for safety inspection and they failed me for a worn control arm bushing. I need to get under there myself next weekend and see what's going on.

Sorry I can't help you find TDC, flyboy, but it sounds like there's plenty of folks here who can get you more information.

Get those records by any means necessary because they are so important to you. Could you call the seller and ask? Seriously, make sure you get any records the PO might have in drawers, an old box, old pockets, previous lives....

As far as I know, the cv joints in the rear make clicking noises, not droning.
Please check tires date as soon as possible. I literally lost control because of some old tires. It is really dangerous even after 8 years. You can check the date of tires by finding the DOT stamp (dep't of transp.) and next to it you want to find a 4 digit stamp. If it's not on one side, check the other side of the car because manufacturers usually stamp only one side. The 4 digit code is such that the first 2 digits are the week of the year, and the second two digits are the year. You will know when you find it, because i have never seen any other stamp that would be wrong yet make sense.

for example:

DOT 2209

that would mean it was made in the 22nd week of 2009.

Good luck...sounds like you are onto some really good stuff.
Old 03-31-2016 | 12:32 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by FlyBoy1986
I recently purchesd a 1985.5 944 base model. i ignorantly pulled off the balance and timing belt and moved the crankl and cam pulleys a little. how do I get back to TDC without bending the valves?
With the plugs out you should be able to turn the crank or cam by hand until you feel some resistance. Be careful you don't push it. Hopefully you'll get them back in sync. Then find a flywheel lock.
Old 04-02-2016 | 11:18 PM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Lol fair enough! Will post when I get back home this weekend.
Pics are up!

I figured out that my rear hatch isn't latching closed, hence the daylight.

Tires are 06 10
Old 04-03-2016 | 02:38 AM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Points to consider: There are NO small leaks in these cars. When one starts, the others will soon follow. While you are in there (WYIT) doing the belts and W/P, replace the front seals top to bottom. Also the throttle body shaft seals. You can get them from Arnnworx. Check the belt rollers and idlers for noisy spin. Replace if needed. Where the sloppy shift is concerned, go to Only944.com and purchase the short shifter and linkage kit. It makes the car shift like a new Porsche. Ask anyone who has bought one. Which hatch seal is broken? The surround seal or the one around the lock. Where's the droning noise coming from, outside, inside, front or rear? How are the tires (age and condition). Also check the battery box with the battery removed to see if it's rusted out and leaking into the passenger foot-well. Outside of that, you'll love the car. I've had 3 and am now restoring an '86 951.
I got under the car today. It is not a small leak. Looks like I'll be getting a complete seal kit from paragon.

Also found the transmission is a little wet.

Finally, found these rusty lines behind the rear right wheel. Are those the infamous return lines?

Old 05-06-2016 | 11:25 PM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Originally Posted by 911lnv87
Hi and welcome, I am also in NOVA with a graphic metallic 951, enjoy your car and you will see a lot of resources is available here for all your needs and questions.
Make sure you do the must do first:
- timing belt
- water pump
- fuel lines
- return lines

for the control arm, you shall look for rebuilding those as they are pretty pricey new.

Enjoy
Reconnected with the PO and got some more mx info:
Timing belt changed 3k/4y ago when head was rebuilt, and tensioned at 1k/3y ago
Balance shaft belt done 3k/4y ago
Water pump done at 3k/4y ago
seals done at 3k/4y ago, but balance shaft seal was noted as leaking 1k ago
clutch changed 84k/~20y ago

Since I have to do at least one seal, I guess I'll do them all, along with the belts. Do you think the water pump is ok?
Old 05-06-2016 | 11:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Reconnected with the PO and got some more mx info:
Timing belt changed 3k/4y ago when head was rebuilt, and tensioned at 1k/3y ago
Balance shaft belt done 3k/4y ago
Water pump done at 3k/4y ago
seals done at 3k/4y ago, but balance shaft seal was noted as leaking 1k ago
clutch changed 84k/~20y ago

Since I have to do at least one seal, I guess I'll do them all, along with the belts. Do you think the water pump is ok?
Water pump should be ok.
but belts...do them for sure.
Old 07-04-2016 | 07:24 PM
944 Lachlan
Racer

Done with the control arms and just about have the rear put together. So next up is belts and seals. Any tips on what I should buy up front and what I should wait to see what's going on inside? For instance, I know I'll need both belts, but I don't know if I should order one of the kits with the rollers. I know I'll need some seals, but I don't know if I should get the kit with the sleeves/races as well.

Quick Reply: Introduction