Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lindsey/Rogue tuning NA MAF almost ready.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016 | 07:15 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Default Lindsey/Rogue tuning NA MAF almost ready.

I had a head in with Mike Lindsey, and I've been chatting with him on some other subjects, some good advice I'll share in a later thread. This guy may have built more 2.5s than just about anyone, so I'd say it's pretty sound advice.

But anyway, update on the MAF. I'll just quote Mike himself:

ME: And what about the NA MAF kit, everyone is wanting to know when that will be available!

Mike: The tubes are at the powder coating shop right now. I hope by the end of the month, first week in April time frame
Just thought I'd share.

Didn't think to ask on price. If anyone finds out, post up.
Old 03-19-2016 | 09:17 AM
AZ520
Instructor

I have been waiting for these also, emailed them 2 weeks ago and they said the same thing, good to know they are coming out soon. I contacted miller also and they no longer offer there maf kit. Sounded like the demand was not there for them, which is too bad.
Old 03-19-2016 | 09:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

You guys are going to love it.
Old 03-19-2016 | 01:12 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

No kidding... plus, in the event that LR stops production for any reason, they're going to be in demand. And start hoarding late DMEs.
Old 03-19-2016 | 02:49 PM
944VT
AutoX

If the price is reasonably close to the original($500), I might buy one the day it comes out.
Old 03-19-2016 | 03:03 PM
nihil
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944VT
If the price is reasonably close to the original($500), I might buy one the day it comes out.
That's about where I'm at with it as well. The night I brought the car home I started looking for tunes and whatnot, and settled on the MAF+offset cam key+chip from Rogue at $520 as something to hold me over until I have time to play with Megasquirt. If the cost goes way up, I'll probably just pick up the DIYPNP MS kit, use a spare MAF from one of the Audis, pick up the cam key separately, then let it all sit on a shelf until I have time to install and tune it.
Old 03-19-2016 | 04:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

If you go MS you don't need a MAF.

NA-tune, with some tweaking, and the advanced cam got my early NA to 160hp (factory rating 143)...
And 165lbft
Old 03-19-2016 | 04:26 PM
nihil
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
If you go MS you don't need a MAF.

NA-tune, with some tweaking, and the advanced cam got my early NA to 160hp (factory rating 143)...
And 165lbft
Nice! Do you have the dyno graph posted somewhere? I'm hoping to bump up the low end torque since my NA came to me with the turbo transaxle (including LSD) and the gearing is a bit taller than stock.
Old 03-20-2016 | 01:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nihil
Nice! Do you have the dyno graph posted somewhere? I'm hoping to bump up the low end torque since my NA came to me with the turbo transaxle (including LSD) and the gearing is a bit taller than stock.
Stock vs na-tuned+advanced cam...

I too have a 951 gear box and wouldn't ever go back to na transmission. The car is actually faster with the 951 box- the longer gears will let you pull against a stock 944 in a straight drag...
Old 03-20-2016 | 05:11 AM
nihil
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Stock vs na-tuned+advanced cam...

I too have a 951 gear box and wouldn't ever go back to na transmission. The car is actually faster with the 951 box- the longer gears will let you pull against a stock 944 in a straight drag...
Solid results. How did you find working with MS? If it's not too bad I may just go that route. Time is a precious commodity these days though.
Old 03-20-2016 | 08:13 AM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

Hope that there might be a 16v variant in the works too?
Old 03-20-2016 | 11:16 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nihil
Solid results. How did you find working with MS? If it's not too bad I may just go that route. Time is a precious commodity these days though.
Installation is super easy and the tuning software is easy to use too, if you opt for that.

*reading this again...* I don't have MS, I had the Rogue MAF kit.
That is what I was running for the above dyno graph.

In the last few weeks I have been running VEMS Plug-n-Play...and it is very nice.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 03-21-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2016 | 07:58 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Check out Odonnell's thread on MS..Plug and play and enjoy! He has many graphs posted here and will help if you go that way.
Old 03-21-2016 | 11:04 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Check out Odonnell's thread on MS..Plug and play and enjoy! He has many graphs posted here and will help if you go that way.
I'd actually advise against MS if you want plug and play. It's very DIY oriented, there is a steep learning curve and touches on many different areas... you need to understand EFI in detail, have a good grasp of electrical work (incl soldering), understand tuning theory, and lastly, be willing to tune it yourself or drop a few benjys having a pro tune it. On the other hand, it's an excellent modification when it's up and running well...whether you're looking for tunability, expandability (for more mods down the road), or simply looking for a hobbyist solution for replacing the Motronic setup...which is reliable depending on how it feels that day. I have a thread documenting my install and I'm happy to help, but again, I'd urge you to look elsewhere for a PnP solution.
Old 03-21-2016 | 02:48 PM
nihil
Instructor

Originally Posted by odonnell
I'd actually advise against MS if you want plug and play. It's very DIY oriented, there is a steep learning curve and touches on many different areas... you need to understand EFI in detail
Check: One of my many unfinished projects is a homebrew EFI for a lawnmower engine.

have a good grasp of electrical work (incl soldering):
Check:

understand tuning theory, and lastly, be willing to tune it yourself or drop a few benjys having a pro tune it.
Check: 30+ cars deep into my life long automotive obsession, and been swinging wrenches since before I could drive.

On the other hand, it's an excellent modification when it's up and running well...whether you're looking for tunability, expandability (for more mods down the road), or simply looking for a hobbyist solution for replacing the Motronic setup...which is reliable depending on how it feels that day. I have a thread documenting my install and I'm happy to help, but again, I'd urge you to look elsewhere for a PnP solution.
My biggest crippling factor is lack of free time and a backlog of existing projects. MS has been on my radar since it first came out, just haven't found a good enough excuse to order one yet. I think the 944 will be that excuse at some point.

Going to subscribe to your thread, there's good stuff in there.

Quick Reply: Lindsey/Rogue tuning NA MAF almost ready.