Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi-OT: snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003 | 10:04 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Question Semi-OT: snow tires?

Hey all,

I was wondering if I could get some info from those who have experience with modern snow tires. Maybe it's because I'm now living in an area which will get a bit more snow than where I grew up, or I'm just spooked from last winter, but I'm toying with the idea of getting a set of snow tires for my Jetta. While we normally don't get enough snow to justify the money, Tire Rack will sell me a mounted pair of 155/80-13s for $256, and the 185/60-14's for $308. I figure that if I can get several winters out of them, they might just be worth it, if for no other reason than they'd be less nerve-wracking than continuing to drive on the ZR-rated anti-snow tires that are currently on the car.

The prices I have listed are for the cheapest snow tires, which would probably be more than adequate for this area, from a grip standpoint. My bigger concern is how well they will hold up to dry pavement. While I'll only switch them on for the actual snow and then pull them back off when the snow is gone, they'll probably still spend some time on dry pavement, and I don't want them to get all chewed up. This probably won't be a problem, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks,
BB.
Old 10-07-2003 | 10:18 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

you are probably looking at Q rated tires which are good up to 80mph. I put HR rated Michelin Pilot Alpins on my Legend coupe, but at 600 mounted on steel rims we are talking a different animal. plus I used mine for six months straight, and took the car up to vermont many times.

you will probably be fine with what they are selling you. I am probably going to get a set or Dunlop winter sports for the camaro. seems they got better ratings than the michelins.

remember thinner is better when it comes to rain and snow tires. bigger contact patch.
Old 10-07-2003 | 10:21 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

bigger contact patch? don't you mean smaller contact patch? more pressure on a smaller patch = better traction as long as you're not driving the limits of the car.

just my thoughts...

-Michael-
Old 10-07-2003 | 10:24 AM
pikey7
Drifting

I'm running Dunlop sport M3 winter tyres on mine. Didn't have any real problems last winter, just took it easy. Same size as recommended in the handbook too (read: probably too wide!)
Old 10-07-2003 | 10:35 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Tire rack offers many good tires and brands. You should be fine ordering from them. Be sure to use the tires only for their intended purpose. Snow tires are not high performance dry tires. They are not speed rated to the level of a good high performance tire.

Since you are not likely to encounter much in the way of snow and ice you might do well to consider the following tires: Hakka (Nokian) NR09, Kelly Springfield Magna Grip or Cooper Weather-Master S/T. Each of these tires offer a good compromise of decent snow traction, decent wear characteristics (even on dry) and are reasonably priced.

If you need ultimate grip on snow and ice - you will want the latest studless tires such as Hakka Q or Bridgestone Blizzak. Nearly every competitor at the Sno*Drift Pro Rally swear by these two brands (we use the Blizzak - but there is nothing wrong with the Hakka Q). We encounter serious ice conditions on this rally and these tires are amazing for their ability to find grip.

Best of luck and remember - your milage may very :-)
Old 10-07-2003 | 10:44 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

michael,
i think we are both right. a narrower tire spreads the contact patch from front to back, while a wider tire spreads it left to right. wider is better for turns, narrower is better for forward grip.

i think i read somewhere that the contact patch is the same size, just distributed differently. which doesnt make total sense but...
Old 10-07-2003 | 10:54 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

The Blizaks are great in the snow but SCARY as hell in the dry, you can feel the sidewalls flexing.

Got a set of the Dunlops to try this year, think I got raped on the price though.
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:14 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

I had Nokian Hakka's on my BMW. I can not recommend them highly enough. My Geo winter-beater won't be getting this treat, but the next performance winter car will get these, no doubt. They're great in anything under 40 F, and they wear like iron.
-J
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:33 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

When I bought my Audi it had WS-50 Blizzak's. They were not quite to the wear bars but very close. Holy cow!!! I've never had so much fun in snow before.
I would get the snow tires with a different set of wheels to make changing them easier and more of a DIY job. Snow tires if not installed until yo need them and pulled off right away in the spring should last about 4 seasons.
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:39 AM
jjjr944
Racer

BeerBurner;

I'll heartily agree with John M. and recommend the use of Nokian snow tires. I use the Hakkapalitta 1 on both my Audi 90 and on my ex's Volvo wagon (the only car besides a Miata know to get "sideways" just driving past an ice machine--muchless thrashing it up in the snow and ice....lol.) and have for more than 3 years. Stable and somewhat predictable in the dry and almost like 4 wheel drive in the messy stuff. Used to use Pirelli winter 190's till they stopped making them and found the Blizzaks just one notch above all-seasons for what ya pay for em.

Try www.nokian.com for more details and follow the North American link.
I have bought from both G&G Enterprises and Greer, both in Wisconsin. Seems ya hafta go north to find the dealers who stock them. Both will sell you tire and steel wheel sets, and you pay a little more, but get a great product. Snow tires sets usually last me 4 to 5 years, so amortized, it not that bad. Both G&G and Greer can be sourced from the Nokian site.

E-mail me if you have any particular question, and I look forward to hearing other lister's thoughts as this is a highly debated topic for many north of the Mason Dixon Line

My .02
Good luck!
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:44 AM
User 462021
Banned

Originally posted by Tom R.
michael,
i think we are both right. a narrower tire spreads the contact patch from front to back, while a wider tire spreads it left to right. wider is better for turns, narrower is better for forward grip.

i think i read somewhere that the contact patch is the same size, just distributed differently. which doesnt make total sense but...

it depends on what kind/brand of tire you have...

for example, michelin has tires that the whole tread is an equal contact patch. They do it with their "stress equilibrium casing" which evenly spreads the weight along the whole tire.

BB,

Are you planning on only getting TWO? If so, that is a very bad idea.
Old 10-07-2003 | 11:45 AM
jjjr944
Racer

Ooooops...sorry, I meant Jon M.
Damn spellcheck. No disrespect meant!
Old 10-07-2003 | 12:01 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Don't waste your money. Replaced my wifes car last December with a 1998 MB C230. Had to get snows for the Northeast. Look on tire rack for Firestone winterhawk or winterfires. read the reviews. Great in the snow and cheap.
Old 10-07-2003 | 12:06 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, guys!

Just to answer a few questions, these prices are for four tires that are mounted/balanced on steel wheels. (I just saw that I accidently typed "pair") Although they don't include shipping, which is typically another $40 or so.

The prices I have are for the Winterforce M+S tires, although the more I think about it, I may as well spend a couple extra bucks and get the Dunlop Graspics. (I will look into the Nokians as well.) Right now, price is a much bigger factor than usual.

All in all, I don't need ultimate grip. By the time we get four inches of snow around here, the whole area shuts down. However, I still like to be able to get around, which is why I'm considering this. Also, seeing as how the Jetta has been lowered by an inch or so, ground clearance is likely a bigger issue than grip. (Maybe I should get coil-overs, too... )

I'll still have to decide on the 155s versus the 185s. I'm sure that while the 155s are the way to go, there's something about running on tires that skinny that might just bother me. Especially considering the slightly aggressive stance of the Jetta. Stupid reasoning, I know, but still...

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 10-07-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2003 | 12:09 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Alpine951
Don't waste your money. Replaced my wifes car last December with a 1998 MB C230. Had to get snows for the Northeast. Look on tire rack for Firestone winterhawk or winterfires. read the reviews. Great in the snow and cheap.
I couldn't find them in my size...

BB.

Quick Reply: Semi-OT: snow tires?