Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 07:52 AM
BigArn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not starting

Hello, first time post. I've got a 83 944, that has been sitting in a garage for about 6 years. Put a new battery in it this weekend, and fresh gas but car wont start. Got spark at the plugs, but not sure if fuel pump is working. Any way of checking to see if I've got fuel pressure? How easy is it to replace fuel pump? I've replaced the fuel filter many years ago, is in the same area?
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you loosen a hose, you should get some gas coming out as the preassure is released. You might have to crank it a bit first to build up preassure as I think that sometimes the preassure drops if the car has been setting.

Another thing to do is to pull a spark plug to see if there is any gas on the tip of the plug.

I have never replaced the a fuel pump, so I can not offer much help there.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:18 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

the fuel pump in your car is very easy to get at, there is an "S" shaped hose connected to the bottom of the gas tank, the other end of that hose attatches to the fuel pump. The pump is green/blue in colour and is about the same size as the fuel filter you replaced. If you crimp off the fuel hose to the pump before disconnecting it, you can replace the pump without spilling a lot of gas. You can check for fuel pressure by removing the "nut" at the end of the fuel rail, it is covered by a black plastic cover that pivots upward. Remove the nut with a 19mm wrench and place some kind of container over the hole and crank the car, you should get a fairly good stream of gas.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:20 AM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Welcome,,,,

A few questions:

Have you ever had the car running, or is it "new" to you?

What does it sound like while cranking?

Fuel smell @ exhaust pipe?

To answer your question , to check fuel pressure, you can undo the fuel line going into the fuel rail to see if you're getting fuel. Have someone hold a coffee can under it while you crank the engine. With the key "on" you should hear the fuel pump cycle on for a few seconds. It is located up behind the rear passenger tire.

It could be one (or both)of the regulators on the fuel rail, could be the DME relay, could be bad injectors, could be a bad coil or coil wire, could be fuel filter (if car has sat for LONG time ie.. years) Lots of "could be's". Start knocking em down......Fuel pump is expensive, start cheap, DME relay 20.00 you need a spare anyhow

Good luck!! You're in the right place.....
Old 10-07-2003, 10:22 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Is it cranking over but just not starting? Run a jumper lead from the battery to somewhere on the engine. If it starts, you have a grounding problem.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:44 AM
BigArn
Intermediate

Thanks all for your replies. I've had the car for over 15 years, and had it stored for about 6 years. Started to hear a grinding noise aways back and parked it. Found out that the bearing in the alternator was bad, so I got that rebuilt. But motorcycling took over and the car just sat for awhile. I'll start checking on all the ideas you guys have given me. And thanks for the warm welcome. I'm on another discussion board for BMW motorcycles, and found out quite a bit about them and hope for the same here.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:19 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Change the timing and balance shaft belts.

NOW!
Old 10-07-2003, 01:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably clogged fuel injectors. Pull them and have them cleaned or soak them in carb cleaner. Should work if you have fuel pressure now.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:28 PM
BigArn
Intermediate

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Change the timing and balance shaft belts.

NOW!
I plan to after I get it started. Next stop would be just that.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:01 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by BigArn
I plan to after I get it started. Next stop would be just that.

Seen long storage cars break T-belts while they were being started.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:57 AM
BigArn
Intermediate

Originally posted by M758
Probably clogged fuel injectors. Pull them and have them cleaned or soak them in carb cleaner. Should work if you have fuel pressure now.
Pulled the 19mm nut and cranked motor, boy does the fuel shoot out real good!! Pulled the fuel rail and injectors and have them soaking in carb/injection cleaner. Any idea on how long to let them soak. I'm thinking a day or two.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:16 PM
M758
Race Director

That should be fine. You can test them easily by cranking with the injectors in the rail, but not into the head. You fire them in the open with the fuel dumping over the exhaust manifold. Needless to say make sure the manifold is cold. Also pull the coil to make sure you have no spark. If the have a nice even spray pattern you are ok and are getting fuel into the combustion chamber. 1-2 seconds of crank should sufficient. Bolt all back together leaving enough time to let the exposed fuel evaporate and try to fire. If it still does not work. Then you have either spark issue or a timing issue. You can check spark by pulling a plug and grouing to the block and visually checking for the flash of a spark. If you have a spark, but still no start then it is a timing issue. Meaning the spark is not timed properly with fuel pulse. Check to make sure you have the plug wires in the right order.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:31 PM
BigArn
Intermediate

After soaking the injectors in carb. cleaner I purchased a seal kit for them. Put everything back together and on the 3rd try she fired up. Ran rough for a couple of minutes then smoothed right out. Next stop is to get new balance and cam belts installed and a once over by my local mechanic. Thanks to all who gave me all the things to check for, and the idea of soaking the injectors. Hope by the spring it will be road worthy once again.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:23 PM
M758
Race Director

I had the fuel injector issue about 3 years ago when getting my 944-spec car ready to run. The engine we installed had been sitting for a long time. Soaking the injectors did the trick.

Glad to hear it is running now
Old 10-21-2003, 04:04 PM
BigArn
Intermediate

Decided to have it flat bedded to my mechanic, don't want to take any chances with those belts braking. SoCal has got me concerned about that, and it's so close to getting back on the road now, why take any risks.

Quick Reply: Not starting