Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer stopped working after I checked all fuses and relays for another issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:37 AM
lemurss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer stopped working after I checked all fuses and relays for another issue

I pulled all my fuses and relays, and disconnected the alarm module, while looking for a parasitic draw. I put everything back the way it was, but now the speedometer doesn't work. Also now the Antilock light is on with a big red exclamation. This all happened as soon as I started the car after putting the fuses and relays back in. All fuses appear to be working and properly in place. There is, however, a mediocre connection at the alarm module, and if I wiggle the plug I hear the module clicking, although when I don't touch it the module appears connected and the car does start and run just fine.

Any ideas? Im stumped.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:35 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the speedometer the only thing that doesn't work? How about the odometer?

If the odometer works...could simply be the gauge. If the odometer doesn't...take a look at the sender in the gearbox.

Lastly, since you've been in/around the relay/fuse box, look at both the "X terminal" and "terminal 15" relays. IIRC, one [or both] provides a power path to the gauge cluster. The terminal 15 relay is easy to diagnose...same relay [141.951.253.B] for fog lights and horn. Just swap out with one.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

You didn't say what year/model car you had.

My suggestions above only apply to 944/2 because, AFAIK, 944/1 do not incorporate either X term or term 15 relays...or electronic speedo sender.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:37 AM
lemurss
Advanced

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Is the speedometer the only thing that doesn't work? How about the odometer?

If the odometer works...could simply be the gauge. If the odometer doesn't...take a look at the sender in the gearbox.

Lastly, since you've been in/around the relay/fuse box, look at both the "X terminal" and "terminal 15" relays. IIRC, one [or both] provides a power path to the gauge cluster. The terminal 15 relay is easy to diagnose...same relay [141.951.253.B] for fog lights and horn. Just swap out with one.
Thanks I will check these out. I did pull the gauge cluster fuse and it was ok. The other gauges are working, but I didn't think to look closely at the odometer but I will next time. I need to get a battery in the car because it died.. hopefully today when it warms up a bit..

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
You didn't say what year/model car you had.

My suggestions above only apply to 944/2 because, AFAIK, 944/1 do not incorporate either X term or term 15 relays...or electronic speedo sender.
It's a 968, oops
Old 02-13-2016, 04:56 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lemurss
It's a 968.
No worries...my suggestions should still apply.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:26 PM
lemurss
Advanced

I think our fuse boxes are different. I just went out and took a look and the fuses/relays you mention appear to be different.

I did drive around and both the speedometer and odometer aren't moving. Maybe when I was crawling around underneath a broke a sensor or disconnected a harness by accident?

Quick Reply: Speedometer stopped working after I checked all fuses and relays for another issue