Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Ripoff artist!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 11:33 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting how this guy is known around the block by people. Well as i mentioned to Dallas a while back, my parents live around this guy. And since im heading home next weekend for an interview i figured id stop by his place....just to find out what going on with this guy....
Erich
Old 10-24-2003, 11:42 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey Dal, havn't heard from you in a while, not sure if my email got lost in the system. Anyway, I am still interested in the car, I'll try to give you a call in the next couple of days.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:53 AM
MartinT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rpmooreii

What happened with the purchase?

I bought my 944 from them, I was new to the country, and thought by going to a trader I would be in a good position.

Well Holt were very helpful, even kept my car stored while I was getting my US driving licence (previously I resided in England)

Well apart from the car being over priced - $8k for a 103k mile, 1987 944, it had the wrong offset phone dials on it - but the deal included the slightly grimmy looking correct offset phone dials luckily for me. Which explains why there are 4 phone dials sitting in my bedroom closet.

Since then (in less than 5k miles - 1 year) I have had the head gasket go, engine bearings replace, virtually the whole power steering system replaced and clutch master and slave cylinders changed.

I've bitten the bullet on all this work, my fault I should have had a PPI done.

Martin
Old 10-25-2003, 07:56 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys! Sharky...the car is history.

I see others here have had some bad vibes on this group at Holt. I have been waiting on paperwork from the money order issuer to send to the proper authorities to go after him and or them since this idiot used Holts address to do his dirty work.

Erich.... I wish I could fly out there and go in to the place with you, hell I still may fly out, it has been a long time since my childhood antics of putting BB's in spark plug holes!! j/k!! but not a bad idea, works real well on race engines I would imagine! lol.... Thanks all! Dallas
Old 11-02-2003, 01:10 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Hi Dallas and anyone else interested....

Well after my interview at Upenn on Friday I stopped by Holt wearing my full suit standing about 6'8 with my nice shoes on. I believe my impression and views on Holt Motorsports have changed drastically since I being there...

When I first got there i thought they were closed, i looked in all the windows of the front and saw between 8-10 newer model 911's. Then a white Carrera 2S came around the corner and the guy parked right by the door. He got out of the car and my first impression was this guy is crazy short (5'2?) and i asked him if he worked here and he said yea his name was Steven, he asked how he could help me. I said i was here to pick up a fender for a friend. He looked slightly confused and i mentioned the name Dallas and asked if he knew what i was talking about....he paused and asked who i was. I said i am a friend of his just trying to figure out whats going on here. I was really was trying to avoid any confrontation here mind you seriously!

He invited me in and said he sent a money order back to Dallas and showed me to the back of the shop to see the fender. I guess to prove it did exist. So i guess i can vouch for its existence. He told me he took it to get shipped at a local UPS hub and they told him it was too big to ship etc. He told me he tried several times with no luck at different dealers. I then asked why he hadn’t responded to your emails Dallas. He told me the day you sent him an email he didn’t respond because he sent the money order in response and thought youd just get that the next day. I asked if he had a copy of the money order or receipt. He said he didn’t and paid cash, and said he routinely throws out all the extra slips for the MO. An older tech that was working there walked up and asked basically the same question i did about the receipt. He suggested we take a drive across the street to where he bought the MO to get their impression on the situation. He offered to drive over in the Carrera 2S, of course i never turn down an opportunity to catch a ride in any Porsche.
When we got there he explained the situation and asked if there was any way to track the money order. They told him without a receipt there is no way to track the money order. He then said something about another money order he sent at the same time to the state DOT to get his registration renewed and said the state complained they also had not received the money order...

We then drove back to Holt's and i asked if there was anything he would like me to relay to Dallas for him. He said he isn’t sure what he is going to do, he said he was thinking about just re-sending it.
The overall impression i got from the situation was he seemed way to comfortable to be making the entire situation up about sending the money order and driving over to the package store. So i guess my conclusion is that it was lost in the mail and maybe it'll show up eventually....
I guess im sorry i couldnt help you out too much Dallas! I wish there was so sort of conclusion i could help you reach. I wish you luck and would also like to vouch for Holt's shop and Stevens attitude toward the whole thing. Either he is a great actor or its just a big misunderstanding....
Gooodluck Dallas!
Erich
Old 11-02-2003, 07:00 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Erich....You got *****! Takes some nerve to confront some people. Sounds to me you shook them up a bit and they felt the need to "save face"! Same old story as he was extremely nice and apologetic during the initial deal with him.

But I will see if they make an attempt now to make good. At least your demeanor woke them up, they probably thought you were a law officer.

Many thanks Erich! Really does say great things about the members here on the list and other forums as well. Only place I know where people you never met will go to great lengths to help another member!!!

This is one of many benefits for your 18 dollar membership!

Erich I owe you a good lunch ....or happy hour, give me a PM with your address so I can repay you for your efforts and help!! Thanks! Dallas

ps...... no longer need the fender as the car was sold...
Old 11-02-2003, 04:26 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Hey Dallas:
Overall i was not trying to start any conflicts, just stop by for a friend and find out what was going on with them and get the story directly from him. I always thought this service was just included in the rennlist dues
And like most on the list i am always willing to help out a rennlister in any way i can...the list is great like that...glad i could help a little and goodluck D-Man and let us know if you hear anything from little Steven
-Erich

Quick Reply: Another Ripoff artist!!