Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are new Sachs good enough for 250 # springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Are new Sachs good enough for 250 # springs?

Ok. I am looking at upping my spring rate to 250 and torsions to 25.5mm. At the same time I am seriously considering Sachs OEM replacement shocks. Will this combo be ok? Or too bouncy for DD/AutoX/Gravel?
Note: I know there are BETTER options but I'm working on a tight budget, but still want quality. Open to hearing opinions. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Ok. I am looking at upping my spring rate to 250 and torsions to 25.5mm. At the same time I am seriously considering Sachs OEM replacement shocks. Will this combo be ok? Or too bouncy for DD/AutoX/Gravel?
Note: I know there are BETTER options but I'm working on a tight budget, but still want quality. Open to hearing opinions. Thanks.
I am not sure if the Sachs shocks are valved for such high spring rates. I doubt it will be too bumpy though.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Good to hear. I just pulled the trigger on the Sachs. I just figured out how to BEAT THE SYSTEM... hahahah (evil laugh)

No more being limited to sealed struts after THIS mod
Old 12-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

What is public opinion about mixing shocks front to rear? For instance, Id like to put Bilstein HD or Koni Sports on the back, but since I'm going to be using Porsche OEM Sachs in the front, should I use sachs in the rear? I have always felt the *** end of the car squirms too much for my liking & want to firm it up back there. I've upgrade sways to 19mm and uniball links, set on the tightest setting. In the past I put Bilstein HD back there & the combo helped control movement.

Anyway THIS time around it'll be SACHS in front. Anyone think I'm crazy running stiffer shocks in the rear?
Old 12-26-2015, 01:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

For a street car I'd keep the Sachs. Koni/bilstein are performance driving shocks and aren't great on bumpy roads in my experience.

I ran Sachs with 200# springs for 10 years and they were totally blown when swapped for new ones. So they may have a shorter life but I did over 50,000 miles in those 10 years.

Re: torsion bars, I looked for over 2 years for a set of the 25.5 bars and none were to be found anywhere. I ended up getting aftermarket 26mm bars for ~$150/set from a Canadian company called cip1... Check them out. Bigger bars paired with my front springs made a huge difference in thecar's handling.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:03 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
What is public opinion about mixing shocks front to rear? For instance, Id like to put Bilstein HD or Koni Sports on the back, but since I'm going to be using Porsche OEM Sachs in the front, should I use sachs in the rear? I have always felt the *** end of the car squirms too much for my liking & want to firm it up back there. I've upgrade sways to 19mm and uniball links, set on the tightest setting. In the past I put Bilstein HD back there & the combo helped control movement.

Anyway THIS time around it'll be SACHS in front. Anyone think I'm crazy running stiffer shocks in the rear?
Mixing is no problem, and can be used well to create what your doing....

For some reason this chassis does like a stiff rear ! Some RWD cars too stiff at the back have traction issues, but I think the T bars behave differently as a spring as opposed to a coil over strut.

The front prefers a softer set for road use, so the sachs front will work well as will the stronger rear combo.

Can you get adjustable damping shox ?

I'm using Spax Gas adjustable front inserts (Top adjustable like a Koni) on the front and also on the rear (Bottom adjustable on a ****)..both are adjustable from 1 -14 settings bump and rebound at the same time...

I'll typically have the front on 3-4 and the rear on 8-9+ and then tweak them to get a 4 wheel slip balance, I always run 2 psi higher font tyre pressures better for a sharper turn in and a softer rear for more tyre flex and less wheelspin..
R

Quick Reply: Are new Sachs good enough for 250 # springs?