Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car too wouldn't start !

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Terry Jamison
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My car too wouldn't start !

Well, I was getting off the freeway yesterday and coasting down the offramp the 944 quit. I couldn't get it started on the fly. So, I rolled it through the light and into a Mervyn's parking lot. Fortunately it was all down hill. I got a ride home and rounded up all the tools and headed back to the car a short while later. I started with my after-market alarm and its fuel pump relay. I took out my jumper wire and jumped the pins bypassing the relay. No joy. So, I moved onto the fuel pump relay under the dash. It too checked good. So, I moved onto checking for spark. The coil was getting voltage with the key on. So, that checked good. I next checked the coil resistances. They also checked good. I was starting to srcatch my head here. Now, an hour into the process, I was getting mad at my car. I thought about leaving the keys in it hoping someone would steal it. But, I had to get it running before someone could steal it.
Before long a rent-a-cop from the Mervyn's parking lot came by and started giving me grief. He noticed that my registration tags were out of date so he called the cops on me. What he didn't know was that I had the tags in the car on the passenger seat. He just wanted to throw his weight around.

By the time the cop showed up I had decided to tow the car to my house. I was afraid that if I left it there to go get a part, the guy would tow it.

To make a long story short, as soon as I got the car in my driveway at home, I found the problem. The wire from the coil to the distributor cap was bad. I popped the wire off of the coils and looked inside. The crimped-on connector inside of the boot was shot. It had completely corroded away.

Why couldn't I have started by checking at the coil?

Well, just something else to check next time it won't start.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:16 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

sounds like dme relay to me. thats the only time i've ever been able to justify the car quitting like that.

-Michael-
Old 09-29-2003, 03:27 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Must be the original wire set for the 84. Look at the bottom wires on the dist cap. Bet these are as corroded as the coil wire.

Check this place out www.kingsborne.com

Quick Reply: My car too wouldn't start !