Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st attempt at re-upholstering my seats myself

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:14 PM
markoS2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Learning how to upholster a seat cover is not easy. I bought a seat cover bottom off ebay and it fit like crap. I looked at it and thought, this doesn't look hard to do. So I bought a home sewing machine and started to make one. It actually took me about 2 years before I made a set of covers that looked half way decent. The first of many obstacles was the sewing. Very hard to sew layers of leather and vinyl together with a home sewing machine. A walking foot machine is what you need.
If you are thinking about taking it a little further, search Cechaflo on youtube, he's got lots of awesome upholstery video's.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:46 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by markoS2
Learning how to upholster a seat cover is not easy. I bought a seat cover bottom off ebay and it fit like crap. I looked at it and thought, this doesn't look hard to do. So I bought a home sewing machine and started to make one. It actually took me about 2 years before I made a set of covers that looked half way decent. The first of many obstacles was the sewing. Very hard to sew layers of leather and vinyl together with a home sewing machine. A walking foot machine is what you need.
If you are thinking about taking it a little further, search Cechaflo on youtube, he's got lots of awesome upholstery video's.
Wow I just watched the steering wheel video. It's incredible. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to look into walking machines also. It looks like it's much easier to control.

Quick Reply: 1st attempt at re-upholstering my seats myself