Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member and my all original, one owner '84

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:42 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vongeiss89
How do you feel about zddp additives?
Not a proponent, but do not have much empirical date to back up my suspicions.

Main concern...possibility of additives coming out of solution and forming particulates under extreme operating temperatures/pressures. My solution...Mobil 1 15w-50, year-round, with 1200 ppm P and 1300 ppm Zn.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:46 PM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So everything is pretty much done except we're having trouble bleeding the front left caliper, even after rebuilding all of them. But the main issue is we're having a no start condition. After the searching and reading I've done here and over on clarks-garage I think we have it narrowed down to either one or both of the reference sensors, or the DME.
Here are the symptoms and what we've done so far:
Crank no start
Good fuel pressure
No spark
No tach bounce
New cap, rotor, and wires
Swapped coil out with no change.

Ugh it's supposed to be nice on Sunday I was hoping to drive it for the first time 😕
Old 02-26-2016, 06:08 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by vongeiss89
I promise to be a good keeper of this car and bring it back to it's former glory!
You do, huh? Well then, place your left hand on your Owner's Manual, raise your right hand and repeat after me:

'I swear to love my car like no other. I promise to take care of my car like a lover. I solemnly pledge to wave to other Porsche car drivers when I see them--day or night--and will hence forth assure one and all that I will say "Porsh-uh" when referring to another person's P-car. So help me, Ferdinand.'

OK, carry on.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:49 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you tried to replace the dme relay. I am not sure if it is an issue on the early cars, but late cars suffer from this relay issue.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:18 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

If you have good fuel pressure, the DME relay is powering the DME and the fuel pump as it should be. The speed sensor is working. That leaves the DME, reference sensor, injectors, and other ignition components other than the coil. Are you getting +12v at that black wire on the coil, relative to ground?
Old 02-27-2016, 01:27 PM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Originally Posted by odonnell
If you have good fuel pressure, the DME relay is powering the DME and the fuel pump as it should be. The speed sensor is working. That leaves the DME, reference sensor, injectors, and other ignition components other than the coil. Are you getting +12v at that black wire on the coil, relative to ground?
We just had the injectors rebuilt and balanced, new cap, rotor and wires, we got power at the coil and we swapped it for a known good one to be sure. Really looking like those reference sensors, we ordered new ones and they should be here later today, fingers crossed it works!

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Old 02-29-2016, 02:09 PM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Replaced both sensors and it fired right up!!!

Still having trouble with the brakes, the pedal just won't firm up. Thinking possible brake master cylinder problem, anyone have any recommendations as to where to get another one?
Old 02-29-2016, 06:01 PM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Alright so the car starts up everytime, runs decent, but there is a very loud whirring noise coming from the front, we disconnected the accessory belts and it was still there, we narrowed it down to the water pump! It's a brand new pump too from allzims so I'm gonna have to call them later and have them send me a new one

Ty is bleeding the brakes one more time but I have a feeling the master cylinder is shot, the pedal just won't get firm at all. So I'll find out by the end of the day if we're going to need a new one or not. Hopefully if all goes well I'll be bringing the car home next week!

Other wise everything seems to work besides one brake light being out, and the radio didn't seem to working, it turns on, and I can hear the speakers pop but the antenna didn't go up and I wasn't getting any static or anything out of the speakers. Eh I'll figure that stuff out when it comes home but if you guys have any suggestions let me know.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:41 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm sure you've thought of this, and it shouldn't be THAT bad anyway, but any chance you have a spongy hose? You know, a rubber hose somewhere that's expanding when you press the pedal, eating up the pressure?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:47 PM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
I'm sure you've thought of this, and it shouldn't be THAT bad anyway, but any chance you have a spongy hose? You know, a rubber hose somewhere that's expanding when you press the pedal, eating up the pressure?
Well I did just replace the rubber lines with stainless steel lines, and we were getting the rears to grab, but nothing at the fronts, which makes me think the seal in the master cylinder for the front is just shot. After seeing what was left in the seals in the calipers it really wouldn't surprise me.

Anyone have a good place to get a new water pump? Not sure if I want to get another one from zims. Do places rebuild water pumps these days?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you sure the belt tension is not too tight?
Old 03-02-2016, 02:43 PM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Are you sure the belt tension is not too tight?
I just got off the phone with allzims and it turns out the balance shaft belt will make this exact noise when it's too tight. We had adjusted the timing belt tension to no avail, but I think the balance shaft belt will be the culprit. Sure enough a quick search here on rennlist and I found a bunch of info on this.

Will give it a shot when my mechanic gets home from Sebring next week! Fingers crossed!
Old 03-02-2016, 03:36 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

That is very common and don't expect a silent belt on the car especially when new. They seem to have a light wine.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:55 PM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
That is very common and don't expect a silent belt on the car especially when new. They seem to have a light wine.
Thank you this makes me feel a little better! I was really dreading having to take the whole thing apart again with my mechanic Ty, hopefully we can get it to quiet down a bit by loosening the balance shaft belt, I don't mind a bit of noise but right now it's too loud. You can't really hear anything else over the whirring.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:18 PM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Looks now like it's a bad roller on the balance shaft belt? Which sucks because I these are brand new rollers. Any chance this is still the balance shaft belt being too tight, thus making that roller squeal? I think we're gonna order a new roller for tomorrow and go from there.

Quick Reply: New member and my all original, one owner '84