Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello! New to the forums. I'z got car(z)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Aussie Jase
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello! New to the forums. I'z got car(z)

Hello guys,

I've just joined up to Rennlist, should have done it a long time ago but anyways..

So I have been fortunate enough to marry into a very active Porsche family so when it came time to pick a car for lemons racing, there was only one choice! A 924S of course A rust free 1987 924S was found on Stanton Island and was immediately inbound to become the all American family race car (pun intended). Aside form the safety stuff the car got Bilsten's in all corners, coilover front and 968 bars front and rear. The motor got a freshen up and a second trans and new clutch was installed after the original threw its pinion gear. Another large but well worthwhile investment was the IMSA livery I added.

The car has been a riot of fun! Its been to Palmer, Thompson, NJMP, Barber, Sebring and PBIR and I always have fun it it. We scored a best of P17 at a lemons race this year and without penalties and stupid **** a top 10 is within reach.

Wanting to do more racing in the direction of AER and Chump, this car really isn't up for the task without investment that takes it away from its original intention of being a lemons car. Again luck was on my side when a dear friend of mine wanted to step out of his 951 which had some crash damage, so this was picked up last weekend!

And the Watkins Glen stripe

Has a Broadfoot motor, cage, 993 front brakes, coilovers on all corners and came with panels to fix up the damage. I have until April to get it prepped and rebuilt in time for the AER event and Watkins Glen.

I know enough about these cars to be dangerous but not enough to know all the geeky answers that I'm sure this forum can provide. The aim with the 924 is to keep up the maintenance and continue to do lemons racing and the 944 for AER events and the 24hr Chump event at VIR. I'll probably start a disassemble/rebuild thread and your advice and finger pointing will be welcome.

Cheers, Jason.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

My team is in the process of building a 944 turbo for Chump car and AER as well.... Our car is basically stock as we're trying to run with 500 point cars. Yours would certainly be EC for chump, but probably a nice start for AER. Not that running in EC for chump car is that bad. Prepare for people to tell you that a 944 turbo is terrible for endurance racing... as for that, we don't know yet. It would be fun for us if you detuned your car and ran as a 575 point car, but that is a lot of work to make your car slower hahah. I honestly think the 951 could replace the E36 as the car to have if a few teams had reliable examples running.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Aussie Jase
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly think reliability will be there as long as cooling is taken care of. The 951 came with a large aftermarket oil cooler which is a bonus and my first task will be to disassemble the turbo for balancing and new bearings/seals etc. I also plan to pull the headers and cross pipe and wrap them to keep under hood temps in check.

The 924S runs like a Swiss watch all day so a turbo running stock boost should be ok, I believe people try and bump up the boost and wonder why they run into trouble. This senario is applied to more than just the 944 community.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

that's what i think too, but there's only one way to find out for sure. we have an oil cooler too, so that's going to put us right at 600 points. we re shooting for road Atlanta in February for our first race

Quick Reply: Hello! New to the forums. I'z got car(z)