Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Figured out the shifting problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Adam Roberts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally Figured out the shifting problem!

A little more than a month ago I posted about when at a stoplight, something happened and I couldn't shift into 1st, didn't want to shift gears, gears ground ,etc.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=83745

I'm not a mechanic, but I didn't have the money to take it to a shop, and I wanted to know the insides of my car, so I decided to do the work myself in my spare time.

Took over a month, because I only could give a few hours a week to the job and I was working by myself, in addition to never worked on a car before.... but anyway, I found the culprit..

the rubber center on the clutch failed.....

looks like it blew out.. and little bits of rubber were chewed up, pressing against the flywheel, making shifting hard.... it was a mess in the clutch bellhousing..

I bought one of those Sachs replacement clutches......I'll bolt that in tomorrow and start to get the thing back together..I miss driving my porsche

thanks everybody for your suggestions...
Old 09-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Cass944
Drifting

hey! I have one of those!

It was funny how i could hold the disk part of the clutch then put my thumb in the hole in the middle and turn it without my other hand moving at all, like they werent even connected. Its crazy how for so long all the power from the engine went through that rubber and now i can just turn it with my hand... anyway i got a sachs too. i doublt I'll have to replace a clutch again as long as i have the car.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Adam Roberts
Instructor

Whoa.. mine just blew a chunk out.. yours went to pieces.....

Did it turn your flywheel a nice rubbery black color?
Old 09-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Big E
Racer

Wow, those clutches look great compared to the one I pulled out I've got pictures around somewhere, I'll have to post them.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Seen it way too many times to care to remember about the idiot who designed the rubber doughnut. I am glad you are going to replace with replace the sachs rubber doughnut to sachs spring.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:30 PM
Cass944
Drifting

i dont remember what my flywheel looked like but i remember when i was pulling the bell housing back i kept getting all kinds of crap in my eyes and all over. the parts that came out turned into dust basicly. there were a few good sized ones in there though.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Finally Figured out the shifting problem!

Originally posted by Adam Roberts

I'm not a mechanic, but I didn't have the money to take it to a shop, and I wanted to know the insides of my car, so I decided to do the work myself in my spare time.
Took over a month, because I only could give a few hours a week to the job and I was working by myself, in addition to never worked on a car before.... but anyway, I found the culprit..
Your first ever repair job on a car was a clutch change in the Porsche?

I'd say you're a mechanic now! Great job!!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Adam Roberts
Instructor

Your first ever repair job on a car was a clutch change in the Porsche?
uh. yea...I feel like a mechanic now...... it looked like a huge task, and it was.. I took just about everything out of the car except the engine.

Friends and neighbors said it'd cost more to haul it to the junkyard in pieces than as one whole car.... but look at it now....

or maybe I should speak when I get everything back together.....
Old 09-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Adam, man outstanding job! If you got to the clutch you certainly can get it all back in. Word to the wise, while your there, change the rear main seal, and pilot bearing. It just a matter of taking the flywheel off, pulling the seal, inserting the new seal, and replacing the pilot bearing (its in the flywheel). When you put it all back, make sure the flywheel is in the same position as when it came off.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:58 PM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

I'm very impressed. A first ever mech job and you choose a Porsche clutch to learn on. I'm dreading mine going but one day it will and I''ll post the mileage. I shall replace with the rubber centre though - I reckon it gives a smoother change. Anyone agree - or not????
Old 09-27-2003, 11:40 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you're not done yet replace the rear main seal while you're in there.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:11 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Bruce '89 s2, NOONE agrees.

DO NOT put a rubber-center clutch in!

Sam
Old 09-28-2003, 10:10 AM
nib5
Instructor

Mine looked about the same - I reckon the brilliant mind responsible for the clutch disk also worked on the spoiler drains.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Or the sunroof drains. They should have just made a better seal up there.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:59 PM
incessant
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very impressed. A first ever mech job and you choose a Porsche clutch to learn on. I'm dreading mine going but one day it will and I''ll post the mileage. I shall replace with the rubber centre though - I reckon it gives a smoother change. Anyone agree - or not????
The spring clutch is more racey, not as smooth at all. They used to rubber to deaden the vibration and make it much smoother. You obviously see the problem with that.
The spring clutch though perhaps more effective and certainly more properly suited, has a bit of a "lock and shock" when engaged (,if you will). It is also noisier.

My rubber clutch started to deteriorate before I bought my car with 58K MI on it. I couldn't downshift to 2nd over 30 miles an hour with out serious shudder. Sometimes it wouldn't want to come out of gear either.
Works just peachy now.

Adam, great job.. I had mine done at the dealership for $2200. You just saved yourself a lot of cash.

Good luck on the re-assembly.

Quick Reply: Finally Figured out the shifting problem!