Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Switches

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window Switches

My pass. side window would not operate using the switch on that door, but would using drivers side switch. Took switches apart one at a time, and discovered they were really dirty, carboned, and arch pitted. I also discovered that the switch on pass. door was assembled differently/incorrectly. I cleaned all contactors using the files shown, contact cleaner, a light film of dielectric grease. Make sure the contactors are filed/sanded flat on all points except ya just might want to keep the rounded contactor profile going on the contactor point marked "A". Re-assembled, checked switch with ohm meter, making sure proper contact and to re-bend contact arms if needed, re-installed in doors turning them around so up is up, down is down.. Shot some silicone spray lube down the sides of window tracks, and all works very well and even a little faster then before. These switches must be assembled the same way or things won't work right. I'm sure a lot of you have experienced this one.......HUH! Maybe this can guide/help the next poor devil trying to do this.

Note that switch 1 has a sleeved **** on the spring, and switch 2 has the little *****. A little spot of dielectric grease on the ball/spring makes re-assembly much easier.

Old 09-22-2003, 03:41 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have gained immense knowledge Grasshopper!

The spring loaded end is the trick for the early switches. This must be in contact for the current to be transfered to the passenger window switch.

The post 85.5 switches are smaller and do not have the spring contact. They actually have the rocker contacts off center so the pressure from the two spring detents keep them in contact.

Quick Reply: Window Switches