Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 05:59 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default More RPM?

Just daydreaming a bit and thinking about building up my 2.5 DOHC motor in the far future.

It's got a 6800 RPM redline from the factory. That's good, but it could be more gooder. I imagine it could probably handle 7000 RPM without much fuss, but what would it take to reliably touch 7200 RPM? 7500 RPM? I'm assuming lightened crank and pistons are a must, and some kind of valve train improvement. Are solid lifters necessary? Lighter valves? Stiffer valve springs?

Has anyone built a 16V engine for high-RPM NA power? I've seen a few S2 and 968-based large-displacement builds that have made big numbers, but I've not come across very many people doing anything with the smaller 16V cousin.

A build like this wouldn't be cost-effective compared to swapping a 968 motor or a V8, of course, but it's fun to think about the possibilities anyway.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Due to oil pump cavitation issues i'd probably stay under 7100. My 968 engine is chipped at 7100 but i really try to shift at 6900 or so in first. Pistons, rods and a lighter flywheel seem like a good idea for it and i'd have the cams re-ground for more umph. This would let it spin up a little faster, that said i don't know that it would be worth the investment for the rods/pistons. I'd start with cams and supporting breathing mods and see how it does. That motor already rev's pretty well over 4k. My 968 engine revs up *much* faster than my 944S did, but its also more powerful and i'm at 6,000ft which hurts both of them.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I didn't think about the oil pump, although I guess that's kind of a weak spot for all 944 engine variants. Maybe a dry sump with a remote oil pump would help that issue.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:42 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by SloMo228
Hmm, I didn't think about the oil pump, although I guess that's kind of a weak spot for all 944 engine variants. Maybe a dry sump with a remote oil pump would help that issue.
It would but, damn, thats some money usually. I'd want to get into cams/intake/exhaust before i hit that. Mostly because there is more power there than just spinning it up. If you're going for a race motor it could be worth it, but i'd also think that valve float could be a problem. 7k is pretty good and the S already feels pretty good at that point. Fresh motor, cams, intake (s2? needs to be dyno'd vs S intake), better header/exhaust, MAF and tune (MS or rogue if he gets it out) and you could have a bitchin', still streetable motor i think.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
It would but, damn, thats some money usually. I'd want to get into cams/intake/exhaust before i hit that. Mostly because there is more power there than just spinning it up. If you're going for a race motor it could be worth it, but i'd also think that valve float could be a problem. 7k is pretty good and the S already feels pretty good at that point. Fresh motor, cams, intake (s2? needs to be dyno'd vs S intake), better header/exhaust, MAF and tune (MS or rogue if he gets it out) and you could have a bitchin', still streetable motor i think.
Oh yeah, for sure. There's no way I'd be spending that much money on a S motor, just thinking about what it might take if money were no object.

I do plan on a rebuild/upgrade of my engine in a year or so, but I won't be going farther than a general refresh with hotter cams and maybe lightened internals.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:11 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

bottom end bearings will take a beating too.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Firestone Firehawk S2s were rev-limited to 7200 and could run there without significant improvements to the valve train. That being said, the S cams are already the most aggressive variant from the factory and the motor is very anemic below 4k or so. At the same time, the Firehawk cars also suffered vibration-related issues due to their high rev limiters, specifically the power steering pumps had a tendency to fail or separate from their mounts.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:21 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
Due to oil pump cavitation issues i'd probably stay under 7100. My 968 engine is chipped at 7100 but i really try to shift at 6900 or so in first. Pistons, rods and a lighter flywheel seem like a good idea for it and i'd have the cams re-ground for more umph. This would let it spin up a little faster, that said i don't know that it would be worth the investment for the rods/pistons. I'd start with cams and supporting breathing mods and see how it does. That motor already rev's pretty well over 4k. My 968 engine revs up *much* faster than my 944S did, but its also more powerful and i'm at 6,000ft which hurts both of them.
I would agree with this. I run my 968 engine to 7000 on occasion, but I prefer to shift around 6800. I do have a hot set of cams and forged rods and pistons, so it could probably handle more, but I'm not going to push it out of mechanical sympathy. I worry about the oiling as well.

It's got a manual rack so power steering pump is not an issue, but I wonder about spinning the alternator that fast.

Quick Reply: More RPM?