Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015 | 02:12 AM
ty944
AutoX

Default New to Porsche

Hi, my name is Tyler.

I recently saved up enough money to purchase myself a 1987 944.

I'm 18 years old and just finished up high school.
I was able to work from when I was 16 to be able to afford my first car. I did quite a bit of research on a lot of different cars, a lot of my friends have last 90s and early 2000 hondas and I figured I'd do something a little different.

After much consideration I decided to go with my gut and look for 944s in my area. I was lucky enough to see 2 of the NA versions in my budget fairly close by, I went to view a guards red one with a promising exterior only to find it was definitely not mechanically sound lol. The second one had some pretty baked paint but ran okay, I feel like I made a good choice and chose the second one.

I'm very happy to drive a car I can be proud of. I'm excited to work on the car in the near future.. I'm sure I'll speak to some of you very soon regarding that, for now i'll be looking forward to saving up a bit more money to do a timing belt and water pump change since it looks like the PO didnt change it for 10 years... uh oh, definitely going to do it myself though, but that's a post for another time, glad to be here!
Old 09-24-2015 | 02:13 AM
ty944
AutoX

Oops forgot to post a picture, here is one I took a few days ago.

My new 1987
Old 09-24-2015 | 08:27 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Nice to be 18! Tyler, best of luck with your car.
Old 09-24-2015 | 10:36 AM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

Congrats! That's a nice color. How bad is the paint?
Old 09-24-2015 | 11:09 AM
fiily
Pro

Always liked the dark blue, congrats!

Replace the timing/balance belts if you have no documents stating when it was done, the sooner the better.

Flush the coolant, brake fluid, drain and refill the transmission fluid and the other stuff can be fixed as you go.

I wish I had a 944 when I was 18, enjoy and post your questions here as plenty of us have done a lot of work on our cars and can give you some good advice.
Old 09-24-2015 | 12:20 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

inb4 someone tells you not to drive it until you do belts/pump. 30k miles / 3 year rule. But seriously I wouldn't drive it until you do if they haven't been done in 10 years.. If it snaps it'll be the end of the motor most likely. Congrats on the car though! I bought my 944T last year at 19 & they're definitely fun cars to have at a young age. Just make sure you keep up with maintenance, you'll learn a lot about cars with a 944.
Old 09-24-2015 | 12:51 PM
ty944
AutoX

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
Congrats! That's a nice color. How bad is the paint?
Thanks! I'll insert a picture of the hood/roof of the car, the whole car is baked and dull for the most part but those are straight up damaged. I have an album of most of the exterior damage if you want a link to that :P

Originally Posted by fiily
Always liked the dark blue, congrats!

Replace the timing/balance belts if you have no documents stating when it was done, the sooner the better.

Flush the coolant, brake fluid, drain and refill the transmission fluid and the other stuff can be fixed as you go.

I wish I had a 944 when I was 18, enjoy and post your questions here as plenty of us have done a lot of work on our cars and can give you some good advice.
Thank you, Do you have a preferred guide to doing the belts/rollers/water pump? I see a few online and can't decide the best to use. I'll browse the forum for the fluid draining.

Originally Posted by jackkthemackk
inb4 someone tells you not to drive it until you do belts/pump. 30k miles / 3 year rule. But seriously I wouldn't drive it until you do if they haven't been done in 10 years.. If it snaps it'll be the end of the motor most likely. Congrats on the car though! I bought my 944T last year at 19 & they're definitely fun cars to have at a young age. Just make sure you keep up with maintenance, you'll learn a lot about cars with a 944.
Thank you! Yeah, I am not going to drive it at all until I get the pump, belts, and rollers changed. Not worth the risk.

Also for anyone who is reading this last bit, there is something the previous owner took out of the car. I can take a picture of the part if you want me to but I'll describe it. It seems like it goes from the airbox to the fender.. or what ever connector that is, he said it makes it sound better but having something out of my car just "cause" seems sketchy. I'd prefer it in there.

Last edited by ty944; 09-24-2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 09-24-2015 | 01:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Porsche?

i think of these as more or less souped up Scirocco's.
Old 09-24-2015 | 01:26 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
Porsche?

i think of these as more or less souped up Scirocco's.
Are you implying that this car won't get me laid?
Old 09-24-2015 | 02:59 PM
Winter44
Racer

Originally Posted by ty944
Also for anyone who is reading this last bit, there is something the previous owner took out of the car. I can take a picture of the part if you want me to but I'll describe it. It seems like it goes from the airbox to the fender.. or what ever connector that is, he said it makes it sound better but having something out of my car just "cause" seems sketchy. I'd prefer it in there.
That would probably be the snorkel that goes from the air box to the fender. You get cooler air with that on. A lot of members here will advise against a cone filter because it sucks in the hot engine air. You might have the same effect if the snorkel is cut off.

clarks-garage.com is a great resource for how-to's

Lots of parts sites and a wealth of knowledge on these forums. Do some digging, find your option codes and see what you really have. I ended up finding a few surprises in mine.

Also, welcome! We always love more pics and updates on your progress. I bought a guards red 84 944 when I was 18. Bought another one when I was 21. You'll fall in love with these cars and feel proud when you start fixing it up yourself and learning how these machines work. Just watch out because they will drain your account like no other.
Old 09-24-2015 | 03:40 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Very nice Copenhagen Blue 944!! What are the options printed on the options tag affixed to the body near the left tail light? Do you know any history on the car?
Old 09-24-2015 | 03:59 PM
ty944
AutoX

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
Very nice Copenhagen Blue 944!! What are the options printed on the options tag affixed to the body near the left tail light? Do you know any history on the car?
I'm actually not sure what the options are, for some reason the options sticker was removed from the back.. I was surprised when i couldnt find it so i looked closer and saw little sticker shavings below where it should be.. really odd. I guess I have to order a COA from Porsche to find out, though I'd prefer not to..
It has been resprayed but i'm pretty sure that is the original color.
Old 09-24-2015 | 04:10 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

It's cool to see the options sticker, parts on these cars get swapped a lot and change hands. Suspension, transaxles, wheels, etc. Better off just manually checking items of interest.
Old 09-24-2015 | 06:06 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ty944
I'm actually not sure what the options are, for some reason the options sticker was removed from the back.. I was surprised when i couldnt find it so i looked closer and saw little sticker shavings below where it should be.. really odd. I guess I have to order a COA from Porsche to find out, though I'd prefer not to..
It has been resprayed but i'm pretty sure that is the original color.
If you get lucky a Porsche employee will see your post and offer to look it up for you. Or you can try your luck by asking at a dealership.
Old 09-24-2015 | 06:57 PM
fred27
Instructor

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum. Wish you well on your journey with this project.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche