Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for taking the time and the quick response, Kevin.
That's good advice for the PPI, I will make sure that's included in any service I have done.
I also need to research more about oil.
Conventional wisdom says black smoke is unburnt fuel (running rich), are you sure it's oil?

Anyone else?
Old 09-16-2016, 05:03 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinr1247
Also, perhaps slightly perplexing, is that there is very oil buildup in the intercooler or pipes to and from. So, to my mind, the turbo charger might be a bit leaky on the "hot side." That's my deduction.
That would be cold side...hot side leaks would dump directly into the exhaust.

Re: the black spots on your garage floor...soot suspended in condensation.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:31 AM
kevinr1247
Instructor

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
That would be cold side...hot side leaks would dump directly into the exhaust.

Re: the black spots on your garage floor...soot suspended in condensation.
Yes, I think I mis typed. There was very little oil in the intercooler so I was thinking the hot side was the culprit for consumption. The cold side is pushing air through the intercooler. There was just a very very light coating in the intercooler when I inspected it.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It all sounds par for the course and the ppi (and oil analysis) are good bets. These cars used more oil from day 1. In addition to publishing the acceptable oil consumption rate, the owner's manual stresses checking oil at every visit to the pump. If the Germans bothered to put it in the manual, there was almost certainly a reason

Mine has always put out some black soot. It runs a little rich at WOT which I think these cars prefer. Probably also coming due for turbo rebuild.

I use mobil1 15w-50 and have had great results - but keep in mind I'm in hot north carolina and car stays in climate controlled garage.

I had it at VIR this past weekend and it used a little oil each session. Important to watch/maintain it carefully at the track and same goes if you take any road trip.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:34 PM
kevinr1247
Instructor

That's really the thing to do is check it regularly. There's a reason why "Check Oil" is on the rubber gas flap. I always carry a quart as well. I think a lot of my initial concern was over reaction, not understanding that these cars tend to consume oil, especially when driven hard. However, there are those cars that consume very little oil as well.

What would be the culprit of the symptom I describe though? On cold startup, there no smoke. But once the car is up to temp, if I rev it, there will be a puff of blue exhaust. Wouldn't the oil burn off as the car was heating up if it was the valve seals? I still think it's the turbo that might be weeping a bit as the car sits.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption 944 Turbo