Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help in Denver/Littleton

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:27 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help in Denver/Littleton

I need some help installing my rebuilt turbo in my car and replacing the leaking cam tower gasket. I’m learning, but not competent enough to do this job on my own, so I’m hoping to find someone who knows what they are doing, in addition to anyone who wants to help/learn too.

Would anyone be able to help me in Littleton this weekend 9/26 or 27?

Of course beer and food will be provided!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

I'm not the person you're looking for from an expertise standpoint, but I'd love to at least offer a hand if it'd be helpful, and maybe learn a few things on the way by.

I'm up in Broomfield, so not too far away. I don't have an extensive tool library, but if there's anything you're needing, let me know on the off chance I do have one.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:41 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

Just finishing up a turbo swap down here in the Springs, along with M-tune and Zeitronix ZT2 install. Unfortunately, my weekends are taken up until I get all the loose ends tied up, so unable to lend a hand at this point.

I will say that, though tedious and time consuming, the turbo swap is pretty straight forward. I strongly suggest the Rennbay exhaust hardware kit! And don't forget all of the associated gaskets and crush rings for the intake and exhaust. It's amazing all of the little things you need to collect in order to put things back together!

And of course, as long as you've got the crossover pulled, your just a few more bolts from pulling the crossmember for a rod bearing re-fresh, pick up tube check, AOS reseal, etc. etc......

Can't offer any insight on the cam tower gasket job.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately I'm going to be at a wedding this weekend. Otherwise I would definitely help out.

I have the belt wrenches that you are welcome to borrow if you need them. I'm pretty sure you will need to loosen the cam belt to remove the cam tower so you will need those wrenches to re-tighten the belt if you don't have them.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm around this weekend but have little experience as well, so not sure how useful I'll be.
If you need an extra pair of hands feel free to ping me. Down in Highlands ranch, so I'm not far
Old 09-23-2015, 06:42 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I might have to do it another weekend if I can't get someone who knows what they are doing.

Royale would you be able to help the following weekend 10/3-4? (4th would be better, I was planning to go to Josh / DocWyte's garage day and then the Presitge Octoberfest on the 3rd.)
Old 09-24-2015, 02:00 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah, unfortunately not.

I'm busy that weekend with my own engagement photos lol. Being mid-20s I feel like my whole life revolves around weddings. It's getting old and my own venture through the process is just beginning.

I haven't even had time to work on my own car in probably 6 months now.

I think the first weekend I'll have open is in early November so if you still need help then I'll be happy to help! The tools I have are always free to borrow any time though so just let me know if you need them.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:54 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Well it looks like this weekend is out. What about Oct 4, 10 or 11th? Would any of those work for anyone?
Old 09-29-2015, 04:29 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

There's got to be someone that has a clue what they are doing and can help me with this on Oct 10th or 11th!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Alpineace
Pro

I could probably help for a few hours this weekend
Old 10-16-2015, 01:16 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help last Fri Mike/Alpineace!

We got the turbo in place and all connected (had to disconnect everything from the crossover to get the crossover connected to the turbo) and the cam tower off.
I got the tower back on with new gasket. going to install a 4 degree advance key before reinstalling the timing belt.

I'm really struggling to get the exhaust all back together. I've left all bolts loose on other connections to the crossover, but have only been able to get 3 bolts into the crossover/header connection despite applying a lot of force with a pry bar. There isn't anything else I can loosen, except the headers from the head, but I assume I will need new gaskets if I do that. (What is the difference between the standard and copper gaskets Lindsey sells?)

I could still use some help if anyone has some time this weekend. Nothing too technical, just could use extra hands to get the exhaust back together and tightened up, put the intake on, etc.

Quick Reply: Need help in Denver/Littleton