Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow build oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty easy. Remove pass side wheel, remove electrical leads from oil pressure sender. OPRV is the 24mm bolt on the front, lower part of the oil cooler housing.

There is another thread going right now about oil pressure issues at start up. Lots of good information there too.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:39 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, there is a tool to align the housing for a 1 piece valve, but it only needs to be used when the oil cooler housing has been removed. Once the cooler has been bolted down, the alignment should not change.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are actually TWO types 1-piece OPRV. There's the larger unit used as standard on the '87+ cars. Then there's a smaller unit used to retrofit the '86 & earlier cars' 3-piece units. If you put the smaller OPRV into the later '87+ cars, you WILL have low oil-pressure. Make sure you are using the proper 1-piece OPRV on your car.

You can also use the OPRV as the alignment tool for the oil-filter housing. Put on all the housing bolts on loosely, about 3-5 turns away from tight so you can still slide the housing around. Insert the OPRV and wiggle the housing so that the valve slides in straight and smoothly. Hold housing in place as you tighten up the bolts.

The earlier 3-piece valve would definitely need to use the alignment tool to ensure proper alignment. Although I've had good luck by inserting the plunger in backwards so the closed end points out. Then push it in only far enough so that it's outer flat end is about 1/2 way down the threads on the outer housing. By eyeballing it, I align the housing so that the gap between the threads and the plunger is even all the way around. THen I tighten the housing. So far this method has always worked for me, but YMMV...

Quick Reply: Slow build oil pressure