Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who said 944S2 where faster then 951 from 0-60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 11:36 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting 0 to 60 times at a stop light when the posted limit is 55 or 65 or whatever can be classified as excessive acceleration, believe me they can do it.

Christian
Old 09-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by GOBOGIE
More good stuff on the 944 Turbo S/1989 951. This article from Car and Driver qoutes even better 0-30, 0-40 etc times for the turbo S/1989 951 than what has been qouted elseway. This can be found on this website
http://vista.pca.org/stl/944turbo.htm

Again this is all stolen info from my previous thread (or pissing match/contest as Euro 944 says :-)

******************CUT & PASTE*************
All these changes resulted in a Porsche with performance that rivaled even the famous 911 Turbo. The standard yardsticks of 0-60 mph and top end were 5.5 and 162 based on the manufacturer's data. Car and Driver's road test in June of 1988 provided this additional data in miles per hour: 0-30 = 2.0; 0-40 = 3.0; 0-50 = 4.1; 0-60 = 5.5; 0-80 = 8.8; 0-100 = 13.6; 0-120 = 22.1 with a quarter mile time of 13.9 at 101 mph. Owners report the factory top speed has been consistently achieved and those with after market chips and mild performance enhancements report top speeds of 172 mph!!
Please note, however, that THIS particular car had the shorter FD- it was a 3.65 (or so) vs the stock 3.38. This didn't help the 0-60 b/c of the shift into 3rd just before 60, but, most other times WERE helped- a STOCK Turbo S was just NOT capable of sub 14's- the factory quoted 13.5 was probably one of the only times Porsche ever quoted a FASTER time than actually possible- they were PROBABLY using the shorter FD AND a slightly stronger prototype(?), etc- I THINK the 0-120 time MIGHT have been a hair slower too, but not by more than 1/10 or so, as the shift into 5th came just BEFORE 120. I would LOVE to find a 0-130 time for a Turbo S top compare to E36 M3's- I'm pretty sure the M3 would be slightly faster- they usually were in the 1/4 ('96 & up that is) @ ~14.0 & I have one test showing 0-130 @ 28.2 & I'm almost positive I've seen as good as in the high 26's, but can't say for sure- I have a R&T 968CS test showing 35.6 to 130- anyway, the M3 has really short gearing, which definately helps, possibly giving it the slight advantage over the Turbo S, but, just add chips to either 951 &

As for the S2 vs turbo- When looking at dyno graphs for both, the S2 doesn't really LOOK as if it would be any faster- it has a more linear rate of increase in HP, but the TQ, etc isn't really any higher at lower rpms. BUT, based on the FEEL (I've driven several), I have to say that they DO feel stronger down low- they're definately more responsive- unfortunately, that flat increase makes passengers (& SOME drivers) think the car is slow (I've heard people say the same thing about 968s) but that's only b/c they start off nice & smooth & then smoothly get stronger until they have to lift or shift- by contrast, my old '89 Integra FELT fast (again, to SOME) b/c of the little push at ~4000rpms, as well as the noise of the engine as it got going. The thing is, the 944S2 is so composed under acceleration, I find myself bouncing off the rev limiter & THEN only realizing that "wow, I'm about to break triple digits..." It's like the S2 is a FAST car, whereas the little peaky Hondas, etc are QUICK cars (due to low gearing, responsive FWD, & their lightweight)- the Turbo's, however, combine a little of both due to dif factors. The S2 wont sit you back in the seat right off, w/out dumping the clutch, nor will the Turbo really, but both will allow you to pick up speed quickly- I think the S2 is a better everyday driver than a Turbo, especially a Turbo S, when all are stock & are going to STAY that way- but, if planning to wring a little more out of them, then the Turbo is hard to beat- it also depends on HOW you drive them- I personally would NEVER kick EITHER out of my garage...

Oh, one other thing- the magazine times are going to be all over the place- it's very difficult to find two cars of the exact same type to be the exact same speed over varying conditions. There are ALWAYS variances b/t cars straight off the showroom floor- out of 20 tested '90 S2's, 1 or 2 will be really strong, 3 or 4 will be slow, & the rest will fall somewhere in the middle- the dif b/t the fastest & slowest can be close to a FULL second, or even more... You really need to drive a few of each before making general conclusions- a nice, well taken care of, strong, excellent running S2 will blow the doors off a weaker, not so nice, horribly neglected Turbo S any day...

I hope all this typing helped in SOME way

Last edited by Robby; 09-22-2003 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:53 AM
dave120
Drifting

Well said Robby
Old 09-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its more a myth then anything that 951's cannot launch.. As the 951(stock) with LSD can launch on boost without ripping the tires up.... Could it stay with the shorter gearing s2? Yes, it can but even after 1st and 2nd gear the s2 will be door handle to doorhandle with it. Then 3rd gear (around mid 3rd gear) or 70mph.. The turbo starts to pull. Raced 2 951's with the same results (mike from cowlumbus 1987turbo and a guy from HS that has a beutiful 1986 turbo both red imagine that... ) I do think I could fend a 951 off till 4th if I launched hard and lost some weight(passanger)... but after that the gearing is counter productive..
Old 09-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can launch, but on stock tires you do want some tire slippage at the start for faster times. The best way to launch is to burn clutch and keep rpm up, which is no good for your car any way you look at it. Get a camaro for this application. Stock 94 z28 with 2 people and auto driven by a guy who never been at the 1/4 mile strip did 14.1. Give it up with the 944/951/s2 pissing match. Its like building a ferrari limo.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:30 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by dave120
Well said Robby
Agreed 2.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:39 PM
incessant
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relax, we are all driving 13 to 20 year old cars here. No reason to fight about which one of these 80's cars is faster than the other. I love the 944 turbo because its fast. There I said it! for all you turbo guys you can sleep good at night knowing I admit you are faster than me. I love my N/A because Im used to driving it everyday and I can PRETEND its fast.
Fast... hmm.. let's look at this statement.

Fast is really relative, is it not?

45 miles an hour is fast in a 90 degree turn.. (trust me, I've been there)

The 951 is faster, but the 944 is still fast. Especially considering the age.

It's all where you get your thrill... burning rubber or hugging corners

-Rhad
Old 09-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the positive input guys

Legoland mentioned launching the turbo- even thought these cars were not made for the strip, I kind of agree that they are underated from a drag/launch perspective- they really do fine & considering power to weight, they hang w/just about everything else out there in their power to weight range- sure, the 247HP/258TQ Turbo S is a little behind the 240HP/236TQ E36 M3 (by .1 - .2 sec @ 1/4) & the M3 is ~200lbs heavier, but, the M3 has a slightly better weight dist (49/51 vs 51/49) AND shorter gearing, not to mention, quicker responsiveness (NO lag), a better LSD (from what I understand- correct me here if I'm wrong), 255's vs 245's (or 225's for normal turbo), longer wheelbase (which I've been TOLD can help in a drag...?), & YEARS of technological advantages INCLUDING tires (of course, we now have the option of decking our beloved 951's out w/the same...)- of course, many would say a Bimmer is not the best car for dragging either, but, look at the late 90's Cameros, etc- they were putting out ~320HP w/TQ to match & were running ~13.8- sure, they weighed more, but when taking into consideration their HP/TQ:weight ratio, they are pretty much in line w/what they should be- I can't comment on their gearing or anything else really, as I've never been too intereted in them- I HAVE been in a '98 auto Camero (13.9 on my G-tech) & it definately has some convincing sit-you-in-your-seat-TQ to it, but I still like my German $ pit better

Anyway, I've noticed that w/my car (& I've only messed w/it few times BTW) that you DO have to spin those tires to come out of the hole well- It feels (to me) that the peprfect launch consists of launching @ ~3700rpms, spinning tires ~1/2 way through 1st, w/some clutch clippage, etc & a whole lot of praying that my >160K mile tranny, etc can hold out. But, it seems, that even though there's so much spinning going on, I'm STILL plastered into my seat- again, I've only launched the car from a dead stand still a few times total, &, don't try this at home kids, etc... My car, of course, has LSD, so I'm not sure if the same procedure would work for a non-LSD turbo AND I'm not a big drag racer, so I'm sure this may NOT be the BEST overall way to launch, but again, I'm not planning to do this often anyway- most of the time I open up in this thing is from a roll, at LEAST midway through 1st, and MOST often, starting somewhere in 3rd... I DID run a 14.5 @102 (G-Tech) w/only TWO tries right after I got my car, launching the way I described- SURE, it's a Turbo S, but, it was BONE stock, w/not so great tires, & very gentle & slow LIFT-shifting from gear to gear, so I'm pretty sure I could run a sub 14.2 everything being right- this IS, also, w/the car being well broken-in...maybe TOO much...

Anyway, I LOVE ALL of POrsche's little unwated, underappreciated 924 series cars- I ALWAYS do a DBL-take whenever I see one, from 924's to 968's, etc- hell, I do that w/pretty much EVERY Porsche anyway...
Old 10-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Stefan
Racer

Thumbs up LoL ! ..

Originally posted by ERAU-944
here we go again, with one of the biggest pissing matches since the amaf threads....

-Michael-

LoL ! ..

AMEN! nuff said.

p.s. I can get my 951 down to 5.456 seconds if I leave the roof off!

Quick Reply: Who said 944S2 where faster then 951 from 0-60?